Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cold air

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:28 PM
HCF Member
Default cold air

i spoke to a mechanic today and he said that a cold air intake for civics arent good cause if u drive it in rain water gets in to your engine and your screwed

Old 04-24-2005, 11:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: cold air

it can happen, but if it rains alot where you live, and the streets arent designed for it, then you need to be careful. or you can get a bypass fron AEM and it will supposedly keep water from going into the motor. you can also get the intake cut into 2 pieces, then put a silicone sleeve to hold them together. then when it rains, you take the lower pipe off, and put the filter on the top hose, making it a short ram until the weather dries up. ive had a cold air on my car a lot, and i never had any problems. just stay away from puddles, and slow down in the rain so you have more warning of them. you slow down in the rain anyway, right?

Old 04-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Ah, slow down in the rain? Not me.
My motto is: Drive like you have just stolen your car!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

well dont drive like a dick.......youll end up hurting urself.......ive got a cold air intake and i live in jersey.......we get a lot of rain but i have no problems..........water vapor aint goin to hurt ur motor.......u have to completly submerge the filter (or half) to cause significant damage to ur car.......significant meaning noticable damage.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

fact of the matter: It can happen and you will be screwed, but its not as common as most people make it seem.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:52 PM

my friend had a full cai- injen r&d, and we took it to a car wash, unfortunately, his civic was so slammed he had rubbed his inner fenders to shreds and we got about 50 ft before the car shut off. it threw cel for random misfire and cyl 3 misfire. pulled plugs and there was water. beware, but it is not common, as often as i take my civic(s) to the car wash, i have never had this problem. i think ur best bet is to get a full cai and cut it in two to change between full cai and short ram. and please dont drive it like you stole it all the time...otherwise you will have to drive it like you stole it from the impound yard. and also, dont drive into any lakes, rivers, streams, oceans, creaks, pools, or large bodies of water with the cai on, with ur stock airbox however, you should be fine.