Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: cold air intake

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: conceptualpolymer

As long as its filter is pulling in cold outside air, then YES, a 5.5 HP gain is a nice chunk of power. If you're running giant wheels, then the V2 may even make up for the loss of effective wheel horsepower.
well......no....its really not. Sounds like a dick comment, but honestly its mostly gonna be in your head because of sound. Not to say throttle response won't be better, but you have a SOHC 1.6 L, its not gonna respond that amazingly to bolt ons man.
Let's look at it, percentagewise: A 5.5 HP increase to a 108 HP engine is a bit more than a 5% increase in power (for $300). If you had to ride your bike up a steep hill, 5.5 HP will easily do that for you - no peddling! At 3000 rpm, that 5.5 HP can give you an extra 10 lbs-ft of torque - enough to beat a stock Civic quite easily. The last thing you should decide is that ifyou don't add 50 HP,you won't do anything. Believe me, racers would die for an extra 5.5 HP because that may mean winning vs losing a race.

a little here, a little there - it does make a difference, especially at high rpm.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Skaterald

FlipHKD720, what would be good for the SOHC 1.6 L motor?
well like previously stated our little engines don't respond well to I/H/E, but as far as intakes go the V2 is about the best of the best. Just not worth the $$ IMO.

and conceptual i agree it'll be noticable, throttle response and sound especially, but don't expect to be leaving cars in the dust with just the intake. And actually if the original poster of this thread has any future plans of turbo, i would absolutely steer them away from getting the V2. Spend that $300 on your charge piping and then some for your turbo kit. If you want a temporary intake before boost get an eBay one with a nice filter; $75 and you're set. But if all you want is an N/A DD to cruise around in and you wanna drop the extra $150+ on the few extra ponies from the V2 over any other aftermarket intake, be my guest.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

That's very true, but some people get disappointed after seeing advertised increases from performance parts.
It was a little disheartening after coming from the Chevy smallblock community, where headers,cam and a full exhaust will net you upwards of 50-60hp with the right combination. But they are severely detuned from the factory. The vortec motors can gain 25hp from a simple mail-order tune, that's on a stock motor with stock exhaust and intake.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: Skaterald

FlipHKD720, what would be good for the SOHC 1.6 L motor?
well like previously stated our little engines don't respond well to I/H/E, but as far as intakes go the V2 is about the best of the best. Just not worth the $$ IMO.

and conceptual i agree it'll be noticable, throttle response and sound especially, but don't expect to be leaving cars in the dust with just the intake. And actually if the original poster of this thread has any future plans of turbo, i would absolutely steer them away from getting the V2. Spend that $300 on your charge piping and then some for your turbo kit. If you want a temporary intake before boost get an eBay one with a nice filter; $75 and you're set. But if all you want is an N/A DD to cruise around in and you wanna drop the extra $150+ on the few extra ponies from the V2 over any other aftermarket intake, be my guest.
Intake and headers are not worth it in my opinion. Before being turbo, I had an intake and a full exhaust and I did not see any improvement in power, however it did sounded cool

$300 is 1/4 of what my turbo kit cost

Skaterald, you are better off saving your money and going forced induction or nitrous if you really want to see some power gains.

conceptual, I usually drive uphills and my car responded the same with or without my intake and exhaust.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: koots

I've got a full exhaust from the engine back and it probably gave me a few horsepower, not to say the power wasn't evident, it's just that these motors aren't terribly responsive to modifcations. If you were to turbo the car it will respond quite well, but you've got to make some internal mods for it to matter a whole lot. It's not a lost cause to work on the D-series motors, but it takes alot of patience and dedication to get good numbers out of them. One thing to remember is that Honda had these little 1.6L's tuned to run great from the factory, i had a 305ci chevy V8 from the late 80's with only 160hp, so it's already running pretty good from the factory.
lol, you have an exhaust that gained HP??? Link me up, bro!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

might have only been 3 horsepower but opening up the passages of intake air and exhaust gases is a definite improvement for any internal combustion engine. It depends on alot of factors in how much power it will make from modifications.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM

I just bought a AEM CAI for my D16Z6 SOHC , I had a SRI and its proven 4.0 HP gain I dynoed mine over the AEM SRI which only received 2.3 HP gain...ENOUGH WITH MYTHS, FACT IS ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK. Not to mention you lose a large chunk of weight from plastic when you go with the CAI.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Snail'n Admin

why would you dyno it? seems like a fail to me.