Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM
HCF Member
Question Cold Air Intake?

My buddy gave me a chrome air intake with filter. It's missing the boot that connects to the carb.
The Filter is bigger than the tube. Is there a part that makes it fit tighter?
My question is can i buy the pieces separately at Pepboys and will it make a difference in gas mileage and performance?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

yes you can buy rubber reducers at pepbays. a COLD air intake will reduce mpg because well its getting colder denser air which the ecu compensates by adding more fuel which supposedly ads HP but you'd be lucky to gain 5hp which is really un-noticeable. a SHORT RAM intake would potentially give you better MPG because its sucking in hot air from inside the engine bay.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 AM
HCF Member

I wanted to argue with the reduced mpg point you made because i know that cai make the engine more efficient. However, i went and researched the issue and it seems that people are divided on the subject but i found no conclusive proof one way or the other. So i will purchase a true cai in a couple of weeks and figure my mpgs before and after to show once and for all. My su****ion is the difference will be negligible. I agree that more fuel gets dumped per rpm however this results in less rpms needed to get to speed because its more efficient in gaining power. So i will get proof before i come to any further conclusions and post a video or pics on here of my findings.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fanboy_Troll
I wanted to argue with the reduced mpg point you made because i know that cai make the engine more efficient. However, i went and researched the issue and it seems that people are divided on the subject but i found no conclusive proof one way or the other. So i will purchase a true cai in a couple of weeks and figure my mpgs before and after to show once and for all. My su****ion is the difference will be negligible. I agree that more fuel gets dumped per rpm however this results in less rpms needed to get to speed because its more efficient in gaining power. So i will get proof before i come to any further conclusions and post a video or pics on here of my findings.
This could be harder than I thought. I was just thinking. . . My car comes with a cold air intake from the factory. Maybe ill buy a short ram and do a comparison. Im gonna have to think on this one.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 AM
HCF Member

well not only that but internal air turbulence caused by most intake systems can throw off air sensors. you'll notice on newer cars the stock intakes utilize a velocity stack most after market intake systems don't. thats why i only recommend AEM because there cone filters have a built in velocity stack. or if you have the cash Weapon R Secret Weapon intake.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 02-13-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 AM
HCF Member

I miss my aem cai intake with the bypass valve