Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Default Cold Air Intake Question

I would like to add a CAI to my recently purchased '98 Civic EX. Many of the intake systems I've looked at advertise a Cold Air Intake, BUT the inlet element is in the engine bay. My question is how is this concidered a Cold Air Intake? Logically the air in the bay would be warmer than the ambient air due to the fact the element sits behind the radiator and is adjacent to a hot engine. The only cooler air would be from the air comming from under the engine.

How are these systems concidered cooler than the stock air intakes?

Thanks in advance [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake Question

[&:]the filter element should be out of the engine compartment inbetween the fender and the fender liner. I've never seen a CAI with the filter in the engine compartment. Are you sure you are not looking at a SRI?

There's not much to be gained with a CAI over stock in terms of cold air. On my 5th gen the air was drawn from the same place with my CAI as it was originally through the resonator into the airbox

Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: GSRDevil

[&:]the filter element should be out of the engine compartment inbetween the fender and the fender liner. I've never seen a CAI with the filter in the engine compartment. Are you sure you are not looking at a SRI?

There's not much to be gained with a CAI over stock in terms of cold air. On my 5th gen the air was drawn from the same place with my CAI as it was originally through the resonator into the airbox

Not sure what a SRI is. But these are what I was looking at, some don't seem long enough to be in the stock air box:

http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...0Air%20Intakes

Old 07-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

SRI = Short Ram Intake. I clicked your link above and it gave me a blank page. But to answer your question, yes, the colder air should be coming up from the ground. IO have however seen the newer CAIs that don't go down that far, and to be honest, i dont really understand them. Someone will be by momentarily to help you though i'm sure.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the comments. The link was to Andys Auto Sport. Sorry it didn't work.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM

A cold air intake fits between the finder walls A cold air intake has its filter in the fender, and a short ram has its filter in the engine bay. Both have their ups and downs: Cold air intakes take in colder air which can yield more horsepower but are susceptible to the elements and can suck in water if you go through a deep puddle. Short rams suck in hot air, but you don't have to worry about sucking in water.

The best intake for your car is probably the stock airbox, since it is sort of cold air and is adequate for far more horsepower than most people are running (and best of all your car won't run lean). But if I had to choose between a cold air and a short ram I would pick short ram because it is less to worry about and since the the turbo is going to heat the air anywayso it gets 'cold air' short ram intakes sit ontop of the engine it stay in the bay

Performance air intake system to increase HP for your sport compact cars, trucks or SUV by improving better air flow to your engine for maximum horsepower gain and torque. Available in the traditional "under the hood" Short Ram Air Intake Systems with easy installation & Cold Air Intake Systems which relocates the air filter outside of engine bay for cooler intake charge and more power over rpm range.

A cold air intake is a system to bring down the temperature of the air going into the car engine, it lets you have maximum flow and temperature on your car. The purpose is to change the look of your factory intake and still make a horsepower gain. They come in many different colors and many different sizes. They make a hissing noise while sucking in the air to mix with the fuel. They replace your factory airbox and resonator which holds water that gets sucked up into the air intake. Overall a cold air intake looks good and performs well, for not a lot of money. A cold air intake is better than a short ram because a short ram sucks in lots of engine heat ?? doesnt at that much spend the extra cash to get the full cold air intake.

i hope this helps

Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info fellas. I may just get a K&N Filter and use the stock air box.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

intake is always better then stock

Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

do urself a favor and get an AEM cold air intake.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

AEM is the best intake around?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Question