Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold air intakes all made the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Cold air intakes all made the same?

Okay so I wanted to get one. They are supposed to improve fuel economy somewhat not to mention pep(takeoff?) and a few more horses.

Can I get just any old one like off of ebay for 30 bucks or should I go for a name brand?

Are they even worth it?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Default RE: Cold air intakes all made the same?

theyre definately worth it.I have a 30 dollar ebay and its served mewell, but alot of guys swear by the v2 or weapon r. anythings better than a stock air box

Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

branded or not, you're paying for quality of the items, but they all serve the same purpose.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

only ones you will notice a difference between are V2 and comptech icebox (also maybe secret weapon)

Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM

Dont forget Injen.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 PM

i have another question. do they drastically improve gas milleage or is it just a slight difference. all my friends say it doesnt but i have a strong feeling that it does.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

I heard like a 1-2mpg increase and like 6-12(dyno on a AEM short on a acura was 6hp I think).

So somehow the pipes are made so different that you wont get ANY? difference unless you get a name brand?

I thought about getting a AEM which is a name brand. But then those others are a bit cheaper.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

buy an ebay one, put a K&N/AEM filter on it and it will work as well as any other thing u can buy. A pipe's a pipe in this situation.........amazing sound difference 2......this is all first hand knowledge lol

Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: R35P3KT

buy an ebay one, put a K&N/AEM filter on it and it will work as well as any other thing u can buy. A pipe's a pipe in this situation.........amazing sound difference 2......this is all first hand knowledge lol
i think all of the information is first hand knowledge. AEM is costly because of R&D, they're heat coated, carb approved, and fitment is exact. Most cases, ebay and a good filter suffice, but fitment is lost. Overall, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

imo, I don't think you will find a difference in mpg after adding an intake. You might be more apt to stomping the throttle withyour intakeand actually seem like your loosing mpg.

If you don't have the money just get a tube off ebay and add a nice filter as mentioned, but I would get atleast a name brand short ram like AEM, Injen, etc. there like a $100 bucksand the gaurantee is thereso you know that your engine will be fine imo.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes all made the same?