Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold air intakes all made the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:56 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold air intakes all made the same?

heh ya the CAI sits usually in front of the passenger front tire .. its easier to install with two people but the SRI is be able to done by yourself. I feel gains whenever i press the gas down to the floor .. obviously

Old 04-27-2007, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

sorry if someone has already gone over this, but the V2 is actaully two pipes inside one another. This cools down the air more or something, idk but its dyno proven to give better gains then just one pipe like a normal CAI.

and as for hydrolock, the filter has to be COMPLTELY submerged in water, ie driving through a small lake lol so dont owrry about it. And if you are worried, get an air bypass valve (although is does restrict air flow a littel bit)

Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

So there is no chance of improvement in HP with a short one unless you get to 5k rpms?
Hum...big debate of what I need.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:55 PM

honestly, there's pretty much no way someone would "recognize" or feel a 5-6hp increase (and mind you, most of those dyno numbers are horsepower at the crank, not whp)

what is noticeable is the enhanced throttle response and noise

SRI is definitely noisy

CAI, not as noisy

SRI is an easy <60 minute install

CAI is an easy <60 minute install (requires taking off bumper most of the time)

Old 04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

with this kind of thing, it's not so much of what you NEED, it's what you WANT.

for example, you might NEED an alternator, but you WANT an AEM V2

Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

^^ very true.. but installing a cold air doesnt necessarily mean taking off the bumper .. cuz u can go through the weel well which is a little hard with the space but ur able to do it without the big hassle..but its true.. u will not notice the hp gains as much as the other perks that come along with it such as the sound and look of it.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: that guy

as for your pep, most CAI's, however they are branded or not, will add 6+ hp and some rev speed to your car. it's a nice little boost in power. if you're going to run naturally aspirated, it's the way to go. your other options are turbo or supercharger which clearly are more expensive.

You WILL NOT get these gains out of your intake. At least not on any d or b series engine that came stock. Maybe, Maybe, MAYBE you might see that much on a V2 or comptech. Maybe.

This is a secret weapon and only gained 3 hp. Lost power all the way until 5000 rpm or so.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...onda_civic_ex/

The biggest part is throttle response. But you will be able to feel gains on some higher end ones.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

sorry if someone has already gone over this, but the V2 is actaully two pipes inside one another. This cools down the air more or something, idk but its dyno proven to give better gains then just one pipe like a normal CAI.

and as for hydrolock, the filter has to be COMPLTELY submerged in water, ie driving through a small lake lol so dont owrry about it. And if you are worried, get an air bypass valve (although is does restrict air flow a littel bit)
The two pipes are placed in areas where they creat resonating sound frequencies that coincide with the air inlet cycle of the engine to force more air into it. That's why they're so expensive and produce bigger gains. And I have driven through huge thunderstorms and had no issues with my V2

Old 04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

damn i wanna v2 now

Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

well im stickin with my first suggestion.....buy the ebay CAI, with a niice filter....................then if u dont like the CAI, take the bottom half offf and make it a SRI. If you arent happy with that switch it back to a CAI, the possibilities are endless lol

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes all made the same?