Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Or Ram Air Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Default Cold Or Ram Air Intake??

If im looking to get intake put in on my car do i wanna get short ram or cold air Intake???? I Live In Jersey Not to bad with rains and flood if it makes a diffrence...Also if possible tell me whats the diffrrence between them thanx

Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Default RE: Cold Or Ram Air Intake??

if you use the search button at the top youll find about 800 threads with the info you need. The short answer is not much difference.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM

buy the cold air and then run it short ram in the winter/wet seasons. I'd say look for one with mounting bracket on it, it'll help hold the piping up as well as make it more stable.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

Good advice BlackDX but BostonHoodHop I wouldn't worry about it during winter/wet seasons unless you have some mad flooding in your area. In that case I'm sure your car is in quite a bit of trouble anyways. Also, the truth is that you really aren't going to notice a difference between the two. Cold air is honestly probably better but its really all about preference. I've got cold air but I've changed it to short ram once and other than a little sound difference there's not a difference, at least not one you will ever notice. Short rams cheap though, so that's good if you're on a budget.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 AM

I had the intake in the short ram set up for bout a month, installed the second pipe and I got fake vtec: at around 3000-3500 rpms the car starts pulling harder than with the short ram as well as I noticed once above 4000rpm it'd get to red line alot quicker. This being said the mileage is bout the same (hard to get a good average since I have the tendancy to wind the car out alot....like having a manual again..) so it does boil down to money........ I got mine for around 35 bucks shipped, but it lacks the mounting bracket and the filter isn't as top quality...

Oh and bout the flooding part, yea slc had a flash flood few weeks back and there were some streets with ponds that covered all but the center of the crown of the street..... was interesting drive but I didn't pond the car or filter and it didn't bog once.... just gotta be careful when it gets super wet out.