Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cool tricks i've done for intake.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Default Cool tricks i've done for intake.

Hey civic people , Ive got some new little quirks and tricks ive done to help me and my integra b16 get some more power and hp.

1. Too lazy and broke, didnt want to buy a turbo.
2. Had too much time.
3. Already had an AEM cold intake.

So i sat home and thought up cool things i could do. The first one that i tried was settin up a borrowed laptop to see the boost I was getting. Guys at Autozone set it up for me. What i did was I took about 3 old computer fans out of my old computers. These were like supercooling fans at really high rpm's. Then what I did is i put one of them inside the intake pipe where the air filter connects to the intake piping. Then i put another in where the first pipe meets the second intake pipe, and lastly the third at the start of the pipe 4 inches from the intake manifold. Each were welded with inserts so they couldnt fall through the pipes but with a little jarring i can pull them out for replacement if ever needed. But the one next to the manifold is held most secure so it doesnt fall into the mani. So, now i have these 3 fans in my intake pipe all wired up to the battery and take considerably NO power whatsoever. Wired a switch in the car which i tell ppl its my own manual boost switch. LOL.
So, i first ran these three fans and actually can get around 3 pds of boost. I can sort of imagine that the intake piping can store so much air because the first fan will blow air direct and make pressure, then the pressure can seep back through it and be lost, but then gets repushed by the second fan and then continues gettin pounded by the third one neext to the airfilter.
So i was happy to notice i had 3 pounds of boost. No blowoff valve or winding up sound though. Just everytime i shut the manifold or let off the gas, the intake pressure that doesnt go into the manifold ends up getting shot back out the air filter and sounds really sweet. A nice soft spray of air.
My next thing i put on it, i was selling my paintball gun and I have a brand new compressed air tank, DXS 4500psi Compressed Air Tank 68 C.I., So, I was like cool, more air pressure. I drilled an angled hole in my intake piping about in the middle of the two fans in the intake pipe (manifold fan, Fan where two pipes connect) and stuck a fitting in the hole with a nice seal to it. And then put my Air tank in the back of the trunk and used three old air wire remotes (long skinny air hoses) that ran to that fitting i installed. Then with the proper valve that i bought at Ace Hardware, I turned the level of psi coming out of the tank to about 5pds. Just at first. Then i wired up the release valve with the 5pds psi going to it, this has a switch that you can let air out at the set psi/pds (in this case 5pds) So i wired the switch next to the fans switch. This new switch engages and turns on and off a second switch i bought for my throttle wire. Its a trip switch sort of, when the throttle goes back, the switch opens and engages. So when ever i dont want to use this air pressure, i can turn it off on the dashboard which disengages the switch on the throttle. I named this pressure boost. My first tests were amazing, 5 pds going into the pretty much sealed intake pipe got me an added 3 pds to the fans 2-3 pds. Because when your putting 5 pds air shots your bound to lose about 2 or 3 through the air filter because the ends arent fully sealed in an intake pipe. So every time i hit the gas the air tank shoots what ever psi i want it. There is a lot of lag but about half as much as a reg. turbo. There is no need for a wastegate obviously. Only thing is is when i let off the gas, the little bit of built up pressure ends up going out the airfilter and even makes it a little lower than a BOV. I might actually install a BOV but that prolly wont work because theres only enough pressure to go out of the airfilter and what not.
I have been using the fans for cooling the Compressed air now because when air is compressed, it heats up, but with the fans it neuralizes it and make it ambient. (At first my engine temp would go way up if i went over 10 pds) So now from the 3 pds of the fans and the 15 pds im shooting out of the tank, i am averaging 15 total pds, with a little bit of lag. No tubro, and a 5 dollar realease valve/switch. couple comp. parts.
No matter what rpms, the engine is still taking in the same boost, its RAW HP. I love it, i do donuts like no other and drag like crazy.

The bad: Need to refill my tank for about 1$ at anywhere that has a refilling place. And i need to refill it about once a week. I only drive to work and gf's really. But you could say that this isnt practical for long time use like a turbo...but if your in a drag and you need a boost without a turbo, just hit the valve switch on, and stomp the pedal. Also had to buy some higher cc injectors which are better performance overall. $35 ebay.

Now ive gotten another Tank thats even a little bigger, ive mounted both of these in my hatchback GSR, like NOS cans. They look sweeet. Im going to run both so i can toggle between both if one dies and ill still have another ready tank.

If you want to try something like this. Its really fun. I can get 15 pds. And my underhood temp is the same always, and my engine temp is the same too.
Thanks, hope you enjoy my ideas and my story of how i pretty much have a redneck boost system lol.
Pce.
~In-Teg-Rawr~

Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

Can you please take this to a dyno. I really would like to see this actually produce extra hp. Btw dude you have far too much time on your hands but, good job???

Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Cereal Admin

So exactly how do you know you're seeing 3lbs of boost? Exactly what rpm can the fans safely spin to?

'til I see real proof, I really can't say I believe it. Hell, your theory works on the same principles as the turbonator.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
So exactly how do you know you're seeing 3lbs of boost? Exactly what rpm can the fans safely spin to?

'til I see real proof, I really can't say I believe it. Hell, your theory works on the same principles as the turbonator.
Shhhhh I like to let people think they're making 30lbs of boost. haha Ya but if you know a place that has a dyno that would help a lot.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

....wow why didn't you just take apart a hair dryer and put it on there. lol
But yea, let's see some REAL dyno results.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by macbeth18288
....wow why didn't you just take apart a hair dryer and put it on there. lol
But yea, let's see some REAL dyno results.
because the hair dryer makes hot air, duhhhhh
use a leafblower
LOL

Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

can you sell your gsr and buy a geo metro?
thanks.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...wer/index.html

read that.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM

LOL. that turbo was a fan ok. My 3 titanium 100mm, 20,000rpm cold blow alienware fans are only used to cool down the air that comes out of the compressed AIR TANK!!! Read closely, "I have been using the fans for cooling the Compressed air now because when air is compressed, it heats up, but with the fans it neuralizes it and make it ambient. (At first my engine temp would go way up if i went over 10 pds)" Jesus.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by In-Teg-Rawr
I have been using the fans for cooling the Compressed air now because when air is compressed, it heats up
then how come if i go turn my air compressor on that i have in the garage, wait for it to fill up, and shoot compressed air on my hand, it's cold?

anyway, yea lets see some before and after dyno charts

Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

your air compressor also contains small traces of water at your house.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cool tricks i've done for intake.