Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Could I use this as a resonator?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Default Could I use this as a resonator?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Would that be ok to use as a resonator? Should I get a cat and put on my custom exhaust? All the aftermarket cats I have found look just like a resonator. So would it be ok just to use the resonator as a cat and a resonator? Will it hurt anything if I don't run a cat? Thanks

Oh yeah, just so you guys know,

I'm going to be using a Ceramic Coated 4-2-1 Header, with a 2.25" ID pipe, some type of 2.25" resonator, and a Magnaflow muffler. Anyone know what kind of power increase I would be looking at?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Could I use this as a resonator?

i have heard a neon with just a glasspack... and it sounded awful. im sure a glasspack and a muffler would sound better. but i dont think iv ever heard it. id say you would get a 10-15hp increase.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

a glasspack is a muffler.

no. dont use it. a fifteen dollar glasspack will sound like ****. whenever i say 'a high quality glasspack' i mean like probably in the range of 100-200 bucks.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

The best ones don't even use fiber glass because glass has a problem with burning out.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:39 PM
mxs
HCF Member

what engine do you have in your car?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: neon3kgt

id say you would get a 10-15hp increase.
I hope you were bieng sarcastic, i don't think mufflers add HP especially not that much.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 PM

Well Holley Performance makes them, so I figured they might be good. guess I'll just use a regular resonator..

AOD, I'm putting a full system on the car.

The motor is a pretty much stock D15B2. I made an intake for it, and thats it.

Can I use just one of those cheapo resonators on Ebay?

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM
HCF Member

glass? melting out? hahaha. did you know what glass is? its melted and shaped sand. ever tried melting sand? doesnt work to well. thats what a lot of FDs use to put out forest fires.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM

How is a glass pac going to make it sound like **** unless your just running that and no muffler. All they do is quiet it down and give a deeper tone just depends on the dimensions it is the larger the quieter. And adding HP with a NA car in the exhaust side with a mild tune your only talking less than 5 HP. Ive never seen a glass pac that was $100-200 your probably thinking a cat or a actual muffler, if your paying that much for a glass pac your getting screwed big time. Just my .02 if you can prove me wrong then do so.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

i use cherry bombs as resonators. but i also use a muffler after that. ive had no problems out of my exh systems at all while using cherry bomb glass packs. your exh sounds to be the same as mine. header, no cat, im using a 16" cherry bomb, and a magnaflow muffler. with this i get very little rasp and a nice tone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could I use this as a resonator?