Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

custom or bought??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Default custom or bought??

ok so i just got a 95 civic and the cat has been gutted and someone did a very poor job of welding it back up, and the rest of the exhaust is gone so it is pretty much coming straight out of the exhaust manifold. My question is... would it be better to buy a full ebay exhaust or to buy an ebay header, cat, and just add a resonator, and then have a muffler shop bend some pipe. Which would be cheaper and more fuel efficient, i am not worried about power gains or really even about sound as long as it is quiet inside the car. Would it pass inspection with just a resonator, cat, and header, with no true muffler, or should I go to autozone and get a cheapy muffler. I know that ebay stuff is "junk" most of the time when it comes to power, but i am not worried about that and just want an exhaust thats not gonna bug the hell out of me goin 75 down the interstate. Also i am not worried as much about power as i am to losing mpg's. Your input is much appreciated.

cliff notes:
custom exhaust w/ ebay components, or full ebay exhaust

Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: custom or bought??

I would suggest looking around on the FS sections on this forum... thats where I got my hi flow cat for less than half the price... you can find used parts from non-vendors so no one is really trying to make a profit off it.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

i wouldnt take it to a shop unless you have money to spend, lol. id get the pieces off the fs thread and then look at some better piping

Old 04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the cliffs. I'd say shop around. you can find good deals on Good parts

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM

alright i'll be lookin around the forum

Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

you dont need a muffler to pass an emissionsinspection, just a good cat (as far as i know), but without a muffler then you will be getting into sound laws lol too loud n whatnot...

but as far as ebay goes, you can find some good stuff on there, but dont get anything that says "style" anywhere in the Item Title. Those are generic, cheapo, knock-off products taht ebay is famous for. THey are not good quality and the sound will be bad. Go with a legitgood name brand (GReddy, DC, Apexi, Magnaflow, Megan) if you are going to get new exhaust compoennts. You get what you pay for, for real.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM

as far as perfomance goes idc, i would just as soon go w/ a stock exhaust (I wonder how much for that?)... as long as w/e i get isn't gonna fall apart in a year and is quiet inside the car, i will be happy

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

You know what is funny? I just noticed that you said that and checked the listings of the exhaust I got and noticed that the cat back system that I originally bidded on was listed as JDM "Style" but somehow I ended up with a more slightly expensive SRS system. And I am pretty sure it is actuall SRS becuase it has the logo on the tailpipe.

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

you dont need a muffler to pass an emissionsinspection, just a good cat (as far as i know), but without a muffler then you will be getting into sound laws lol too loud n whatnot...

but as far as ebay goes, you can find some good stuff on there, but dont get anything that says "style" anywhere in the Item Title. Those are generic, cheapo, knock-off products taht ebay is famous for. THey are not good quality and the sound will be bad. Go with a legitgood name brand (GReddy, DC, Apexi, Magnaflow, Megan) if you are going to get new exhaust compoennts. You get what you pay for, for real.