Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

custom cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Default custom cat back?

Im new to the forum and I have a 1997 Honda civic ex, i have basic bolt ons, one of them being a universal racing muffler that came on the car when I bought it used. I just noticed the car is sounding different so I decided to find out why. I found that my muffler has broken off of the stock pipe. Im going to take it to my local muffler shop here, but i was wondering if it would be better to get them to fabricate me a custom cat-back system to save a few $. Ive noticed under the car i have the cat, then a muffler, that then leads to my racing muffler. Can I just run a straight pipe from the cat to the muffler? wouldnt it be the same as having a brand name system basically? Someone please help me..im 16 and its my 1st car!!

Old 07-06-2005, 07:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: custom cat back?

Ok first, welcome to HCF. Now...

The only problem with getting it done at your local muffler shop is not many shops do mandrel bending. If you could find one that did mandrel bends instead of crush bends then I say go for it and let us know how it turns out because it would save you some cash. "Universal" racing muffler usually means "cheap." If you get a custom exhaust find yourself a quality muffler to go with it. Ask for 2.25" mandrel bent pipes all the way back to your new muffler and see how much they want.

Ive noticed under the car i have the cat, then a muffler, that then leads to my racing muffler.
The "muffler" you are talking about there is a resonator and is used to quiet the exhaust.

i have basic bolt ons,
What else do you have?

Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 AM

I just have a nopi # 1 short ram intake, and a matrix strut bar. Im planning to add the catback and chikara headers b/c i dont have the money to build up the engine too much. Does anyone know of any cheap ways to increase throttle response or horsepower? My car is basically stock except for the 15' rims and system. Im going to do some exterior stuff soon when i get a job.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 AM

I also meant to ask, if I remove the resonator will my car be like ear piercing loud or sound like everyone elses? I still have stock headers. Will it be street legal? It should just sound like a reg. cat back right?

Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM

just save up get the right exhaust system and avoid the headaches everything will happen in time and if u get new headers do some research on that to i stress on doing it right the first time that way u can ride with no worries

your friendly honda guy in IRAQ

Old 07-07-2005, 02:58 PM

I dont have a job, thats why i cant get a top of the line cat back, but i would if i could, im just about to start school again and im trying to get a part time job.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

Go talk yo the guys at your local muffler place and see how much they want to do it 2.25" all the way.

I dont think it will be unbearable if you remove the resonator but it will be louder. The resonator doesn't affect emmisions it just keeps it quieter, and it's not gonna make it too loud to be legal. Yes, it should sound like a regular cat-back. A header will make it louder though.

I can relate to not being able to buy top of the line everything right away. I searched and searched for the best deals on used parts or lower priced, quality new stuff. Everyone will tell you to save, and it's a good idea I suppose, but I'm no good at it. I dont' see the point of spending $400 new when I can do a little digging and find it for $120 used. But that's just me.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the help Sniper, i will tell you what they say when i call them, there is a shop right down the road im going to check out, the sign says "custom pipe bending" so theyve done it b4 i guess. Do you know like around how much it will cost? Ive emailed them and im hoping its under 100.00 if possible, does that resonator kill any horsepower?

Old 07-07-2005, 03:55 PM

yes i understand u r in school so if u can't get the top of the line research the best within your price range and u should b fine

Old 07-07-2005, 04:13 PM

I think you'll have to save up a bit more cash, because I doubt if you'll be able to get it done for under $100 anywhere.

Quick Reply: custom cat back?