Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

D16Y8 Stock Header Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Default D16Y8 Stock Header Pipe Question

Firstly, let me apologize if I posted this to the wrong section - this is my first post.

Does anyone know where I can find a stock replacement header pipe for a 1996 Civic Ex (D16Y8)? By header pipe, I mean the pipe that connects the exhaust manifold to the catalytic converter. I've also seen these referred to as down pipes. Also, it seems that the O2 sensor is in the manifold and not the pipe I am referring to (anyone know for sure? I haven't removed the heat shield that covers the manifold yet, so I can't tell for sure.) Yes, yes, yes, I know I should get headers.... This is actually for my girlfriend's car and I am trying to fix it for as little cash as possible.

The problem I'm having is that the flange that is normally welded onto the stock header pipe and joins it to the cat has rusted off. Otherwise the pipe is good. I tried to find a quick-fix replacement flange, but can't find the right size. Monroe Muffler said I need a whole new pipe and quoted me $270 parts and labor. Naturally, I thought, "Geez, for that money I can get a set of headers and gas for 3 months... "

Next, I tried to order a replacement part online. Foolish me, I didn't do a thorough examination of the stock pipe before ordering a Bosal BO713385, which is what comes up as the replacement part on most searches for this car. While that part was only about $60, it is utterly the wrong size.... <sigh> my bad.

Anyway, at this point I am seeking your help to determine what my best course of action is, and where I can find any parts (ideally, links and/or part numbers) to complete that action. The way I see it I need to do one of the following:

Option #1:
Find a universal split flange that can go on the existing pipe. I found a ROL Exhaust 1.5" to 2" Converter Repair Flange (part number 529200, but it is just a bit too small. I cannot find the next size up (I think it's 2.25", 529225, but I'm not sure). If anybody knows where to find one online I'd appreciate it. Advantages: Cheapest solution. Disadvantages: Will probably not last that long.

Option #2:
Find a stock replacement pipe that is not the Bosal one mentioned above, but one that will actually fit this car! Obviously, the cost of the pipe must be (significantly) cheaper than headers, otherwise, why bother? I figure if I can find one for $100 or less, then this would be the best option. However, I am a little gun shy now about ordering one online, so if anyone knows the exact part I'd need to to order for sure, please let me know. Advantages: Cheaper than headers (hopefully) and will last the remaining life of the car. Disadvantages: More expensive than a quick flange fix. Plus, if I keep ordering incorrect sized pipes, the shipping costs will end up being more than the price of headers.

Option #3:
Get the cheapest set of aftermarket headers I can find. I am not looking for a crazy performance upgrade (not my car). But if I can get a set of headers for less than or equal to what it would cost to use stock parts, then that's what I'll do. It seems that Hedman Chikara Headers (HED-37040) or Pacesetter Headers (PSM-70-1160) are cheapest (around $150) and would do the job. I would probably need a bolt kit as well, but it looks like both those header kits come with gaskets. Anyone have any experience with these? Will these hook up to a stock cat without problems? Advantages: Best performance. Disadvantages: Most expensive option (not counting Monroe Muffler...), it's my girlfriend's car and she will never appreciate having headers ...

Anyway, to sum up, I am trying to fix this thing for as little $$$ as possible. If I have to get headers, fine, but I'd like any advice on option 1 or 2, if any of you have been in a similar situation. I am NOT looking for a series of replies stating simply, "Get headers dude". Lol

Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!

-AP

Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: D16Y8 Stock Header Pipe Question

get headers dude!

j/k

option 2 is your best bet and try and look at junkyards, considering their the cheapest. and what car is this by chance?

Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 AM
HCF Member

do you live in California? You can get a Megan header for $150 (probably cheaper), but it isnt Carb legal (technically), if you're not in an area with strict emissions laws, i say get the Megan header. It wont be louder at all, and you might see some gains, and its definitely cheaper then brand new OEM, unless you find one used somewhere for cheap, in which case i say just go with that if you dont care about performance, and after searching i found THIShaha good luck man

Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy
and what car is this by chance?
ORIGINAL: ap42
1996 Civic Ex (D16Y8)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks, FlipHKD720, good advice. I always forget that Ebay is like an online junkyard :P

I'm in upstate NY, so the emission laws aren't that crazy, but they're getting there....

Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

well i'd definitely hit up that link i posted, that seller has almost perfect feedback and thats OEM, so you know its good quality, and just in case you get tested for emissions you know you'll pass since its OEM

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Well, I ordered the ebay part, so hopefully this whole ordeal will be over once the part comes. Thanks again for your help Flip & you too, ej6buddy!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

and what car is this by chance?
1996 Civic Ex (D16Y8)

Well, I ordered the ebay part, so hopefully this whole ordeal will be over once the part comes. Thanks again for your help Flip & you too, ej6buddy!
cool, an no problem

Old 08-04-2007, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

lol not an ***, i ddint mean that rude at all man, just answerin your question

Old 08-04-2007, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

lol not an ***, i ddint mean that rude at all man, just answerin your question