Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Default dual exhaust

I own a 96 civic lx and my exhaust broke off under my passenger side front seat. Since i will be repairing it anyways i was wondering if i would be able to have it split into dual exhausts? and if so how much would this run me for a middle of the road set of pipes?

Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: dual exhaust

You can do this, but I and many others will advise you not to do so. Reason being, we have tiny Honda engines in our cars and the smaller single exhaust provides better overall power for it. Yes, the dual exhaust looks sweet but you may feel a reduction in low end power. There is a HCF member that had dual exhaust and recently go rid of it. I suggest just getting a catback exhaust, you'll be happy you did.

So, to recap, you can have someone customize a dual exhaust for you, but please don't.

oh, and a forewarning, you will be getting a lot of "you are a ricer" responses. Don't take them to heart. You asked an honest question and some people are uptight and think they can mock anyone without a PHD in civics.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM

thnks the only reason that i wanted duals is bcause the body kit that i have on there allows for them and i catch crap for not having dual exhausts on there.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Cat Fuсker

than by all means do get dual exhaust....nothing looks worse than that empty hole...yes it will decrease performance, but it'll look better...

Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM

It will look really good...but with little power the engines have........lol

Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

i dont like dual exhausts in civics, i like the single, but its better to cover the hole up and yes its not a complicated thing to have done

Old 07-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Super Cereal Admin

would danomatichappen to betalking about me?

generally, if you don't have a body kit, don't even consider a dual exhaust. But since you already have a body kit with dual cutouts, you have tworealoptions

1) the one I went with (back when I had my Black Widow rear) was to run dual exhaust. Make sure the exhaust shop you go through uses small tubing; I'd say no bigger than 2". The exhaust shop that did mine ran about 2.25" tubing, and there was a noticeable loss in power. But it did sound pretty freaking awesome (video clip links at the bottom of the post) when I had the dual exhaust
2) mold over one of the exhaust outlets on the bumper. Unfortunately, I didn't think of this option back when I rocked a body kit, or else I'd have done it. That way, you still get to have the back bumper you want, but you don't need dual exhaust.

In the end, the total price for me was just over $300 for an axle-back system
-$164 for both mufflers (DNX)
-$140 for the exhaust to be run (local shop)

And of course, pics:
Name:  dualexhaust1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  34.2 KB
Name:  dualexhaust2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  23.7 KB
Name:  dualexhaust3.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  23.2 KB
Name:  dualexhaust4.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  25.8 KB

And the videos:
With the silencers in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXr149lD2w
Without the silencers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRGQfm_zcnU

Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 AM

reaper2022your yourtube video with the dual exhuast sound really nice and it doesnt look that bad either. so i think its all about what u want. if u want ur car to look good and stuff but sacrafice a little power loose go ahead with the dual. or if u want as much HP/power as u can just get the full catback system.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM

I was wondering about this also, but I know I'm never gonna get a body kit that aggressive so now I know.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 PM

IMO dual exhausts just look a little funny on a 4-cyl but if thats what you want and your bumper already has the hole for it, I guess you should do it. It's really all up to you.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust