Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

dx exhaust conversion to ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default dx exhaust conversion to ex

curious what do i need to make it complete?

i have a ex header already from my 99 and a header for the ex which im going to swap onto my dx since it has front o2 bung for the primary o2 sensor and id just plug the rear o2 sensor....
now the cat i guess id go with a aftermarket cat for ex direct fit...

and after the replacement ex cat would the stock dx piping bolt up or do i need a ex mid pipe to run to the axle back or do i just need to slightly modify the piping to fit?

and i asume id need the O2 extender wires but how long? or do i even need them for my 96dx since the primary will be in the front tube... or should i move it to the rear collector there?

looking to keep the car from having a CEL light!
and now that the motor seems to be geting louder around the motor area so im THINKING its got a crack or something posibly.... i havent pulled the header cover off it yet to inspect for any cracks yet but it just seems to loud to me and seems to be getting louder and i figure since the car took a front hit before it could have very well put a small crack in the header/cat up front since the ac condensor was smashed into the cat.... i never thought much about it until i replaced the muffler with a stock muffler so now i can hear it alot more.LOL and it just seems like its getting louder to me these last few days....

and since im gonna be putting the 99ex back stock it sure wont hurt anything to slap the stocker back on it and put the decent header on the dx and do this ex exhaust conversion....

anyone done this swap and know exactly what id need to do the swap and be CEL free?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd assume you'd need everything ex; header, cat, mid-pipe, and axle-back, but I'm not completely sure. I would think the mid-pipes would be different, but that's just my guess.

Also, I'd think you'd need to extend the o2 wires; I'd just get a 24" extension kit from passwordjdm. That way, if it's too long, no problem. But if you got a shorter one and it ended up being too short, you'd have to send it back and wait for the longer one.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

true.... but would i need 2 extenders? im curious about that.... if mounting the primary sensor in the 1 header tube or if i should move it back into the collector. if i move it to the rear collector then id have to extend both O2 sensor wires. i definatly want the extenders since last time i tried to solder the wires it didnt work at all
hoping to find someone thats done it and knows if id need to extend the primary sensor to the rear collector or in the front 1 tubs if it would be ok and CEL free or not..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

the mid pipes are different. the dx uses a 2 bolt set-up and the ex uses 3. So you would need a header, cat, and midpipe off the ex for sure, but I'm not sure about from there back.

as for the o2 sensors, you shouldn't have to extend the primary sensor, only the secondary sensor. but i've never done it so i'm not 100% on that

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya im just not sure if the primary would be look enough to reach the rear collector or not...
i dont believe the axle back is different.... and if the mid pipe just has a different bolt flange on it then i could weld my own mounting flange for it...
i do have a welder so i can tweek the system....

Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, I believe you just have to extend the secondary sensor.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-O...P1767C359.aspx

The EX header will bolt up fine, the cat onto that (and the extension for the secondary o2 sensor), then since the DX's piping will be a cat's length too long, either have chop it off and have a flange welded on so it'll bolt up to the cat or get an EX catback for the same year as your car. You'll be set.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

so anyone know if i need to move the primary sensor to the rear of the header? or can i just mount it up front on the header?

this is where one of my header sensors can be...
ill be using this header infact. it has a rear o2 sensor bung now that i welded in.
and suprisingly doesnt look to bad for being on the car for over a year... alittle yellow but still doesnt look to bad.
Name:  DSC00277.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  3ad77a0b.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  107.9 KB
i tried it before on my EX with the O2 sensor extended and put in front BUT either the extension wire job sucked or it being mounted in a single exaust tube threw off the computers reading... which is why im concerned if i need to extend both sensors... to keep the primary in the collector for all 4 tubes or if its all right to just mount it up front in the single tube....
getting it to fit is not a problem... keeping the CEL light from coming on is what im trying to prevent!

Last edited by addiction2bass; 10-07-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

you can leave the primary sensor in the location that it looks like it's already in in that last picture.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it would be easier but i just want to be sure it will be CEL free if i put it there.

Quick Reply: dx exhaust conversion to ex