Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ebay intake problem?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
HCF Member
Default ebay intake problem?

so the past few days i've been noticing when i step on the gas more i hear this faint whistling sound from my ebay cold air intake. when i holdthe carat certain rpms it becomes really noticable and kind ofannoying... im wondering if this happens with any other intakes, good intakes like injen or the AEM, or if its just poor quality ebay ones... at the time i was looking for something cheap i only paid 40 bucks for mine, but im wondering if this sound is a problem or if it's too much or too little air being sucked.

i guess the question im trying to conjure up here is, is it worth it / should i replace my ebay with a better quality CAI? AEM for example

thanks in advance

P.S. I'm going to be installing a megan 4-2-1 header before the new year, will it make more of a difference installed with an AEM CAI?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ebay intake problem?

That sound happens with a cold air intake.
If you don't like the sound then change back to a stock one.
It means it's sucking in the air.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

my sri makes that sound and i love it.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

lol yea its just a common noise that CAI or SRI intakes make. No need to get all worried about, you are fine.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

well yeah i know its sucking in air but i dont remember what posts i read but i recall someone saying that you would get a more aggressive sound with the AEM v2. im wondering if its worth replacing the ebay one for the AEM, for both sound and gains,what do you guys think?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Well thats all up to you. Aftermarket Brand Companies give you the real hp gain that you are looking (about 3hp gain). I heard from many ebay ones are not that good, and does not deliver proper gain. Some also had very good luck with ebay ones. So its all up to you. Try to look at the product review section. I am pretty sure others have bought an AEM V2 Intake for you car and see what they said.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

my friends intake on the same engine as mine (d16y7) makes a compltely different sound than mine, and its the exact same intake. Its odd' but sounds awesome IMO. And have you upgraded your ebay filter yet? Need to ASAP.....

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito its typical sound... but definatly upgrade that filter if its a cheap ebay one!

this is what mine sounds like.....
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...take013mpg.flv
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...take014mpg.flv

Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

addiction which intake are you running? it sounds a heck of a lot better than mine. all i get is a little PPFFT when i tap the gas but the engine still sounds as if it was stock when im driving

Seems like a lot of you have AEM or Injen intakes, where did most of you order from?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i have a cheap ebay CAI intake. and thats with the crapy metal screen filter...... but i have swaped it off and put on a AEM dryflow filter onto it, cause thats the most important part of a intake is the filter...

but like said not every motor sounds the same.... but i can ensure ya its about the same most likely....
when im driving only time i can hear the intake is when i take off hard.. but just driving i dont realy hear it.... but then again i usualy have my radio cranked in that car.LMFAO

and im not sure how my blue civic sounds with its SRI cause of the HORIBLE fart can/muffler in the rear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ebay intake problem?