Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

EX Conversion~!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
HCF Member
Arrow EX Conversion~!

Okay, so now that i've finally found the main reason as to why my CEL was on, is becuase the Cat is Fked. To fix this its going to cost 800+Labor.! Which brings me to my last thread (DX 2 EX Conversion~!)which is now becoming something i Need to do.
Anyways, i want to do things legal, CARB/EPA legal, CA legal as well.

~I know to start off of course i need the EX header, i was thinking of the DC Headers. Only problem i'm having is which one is the one i need D: I know ceramic is good and stainless steel is better but guide me to which is the one i need.

~Also, the Cat, boy some friends of mine say "just cut the cat out and go straight pipe" but the ideal is to not have to worry about cop harrasment. Anyways, my decision is to either hit the junkyard get the EX Cat, purchase the MagnaFlow Cat (Is it CARB/EPA legal?) or the manufacturer ex cat. (who knows how much that is) I know the MagnaFlow Cat is my best bet but i dont wanna be flagged and getting fix it tickets ya know? so again, please guide me which is the one i need.

I appreciate the time guys, thanks alot.

(Oh off topic/wrong section but rather make it short notice, would you prefer i get steelys then get rota gt3s because at the moment i need wheels bad and short on cash. thanks)

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

ive always heard ceramic is better because it keeps the heat in better
definetly stay CARB legal (idk what is/isn't)
and ive heard that junkyards can't/won't sell cats

if the steelies are cheap and/or have good tires i would get them for the time being

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by hamorhead
ive always heard ceramic is better because it keeps the heat in better
definetly stay CARB legal (idk what is/isn't)
and ive heard that junkyards can't/won't sell cats

if the steelies are cheap and/or have good tires i would get them for the time being
Okay, so i'll definitely get the ceramic from your perspective (plus i saw on the thread that gave an external link to headers and differences with ceramic/steel) great. And from what i've heard dc headers are CARB/EPA legal. (correct me if im wrong)

And from some of my friends said that they might sell the cat (little more then average price since its illegal, lol)

Lastly, yeah got steelies w/ tires, good tread. Glad i came through with them 140$. Hopefully my tire is the only problem instead of a bent axle D: since my back wheel is bent

Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Cereal Admin

DC headers are CARB approved. I believe Hedman's Chikara headers carry some form of CARB-exemption, but I don't know the details of it off-hand.

For the cat, I'm almost positive magnaflow makes a CARB-legal cat. Check out Summit Racing, you should be able to find a CARB-legal high-flow there (hopefully you can find a legal direct-fit cat instead of having to have flanges welded on it and everything). For the exhaust, since you live in Cali, I'd recommed something quiet, like a GReddy SP2 or an Apex`i WS cat-back.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

Okay, great so a DC Header, Magnaflow Cat & Apexi WS2 Catback. Just what i wanted haha. Anybody happen to know the price for all three? With/Without labor?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Cereal Admin

It's going to be something like $700-$800. To be honest, I can't even find a 50-state legal direct-fit cat. I would think if you got a 49-state legal one, you should still be able to pass a sniffer test. And let's face it, is a LEO really going to climb under a lowered car to see if the cat has a CARB stamp on it?

*ninja: labor = do it yerself. It's not really hard, honest. If you have basic hand tools, a jack, and some stands, you can do it in a few hours.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

Alright, thanks for that advice Reaper. I had a feeling they wouldnt be all nosy with the downstairs.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by JayVee
Alright, thanks for that advice Reaper. I had a feeling they wouldnt be all nosy with the downstairs.
yea in FL there not
i had a cop inspect every aspect on the body- tinted windows, tinted corners, checked to make sure all my lights worked and made me roll my drivers side window up and down a few times to check the tint but he never looked underneath and my car was LOUD back then
btw all he got me for was tinted corner lights and he just gave me a verbal warning

Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 PM

Magnaflow direct fit cats are not CARB approved. I believe that they make a universal (weld-on) one that is though.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

Well like hamorhead said, cops didnt really harrass him for the cat, so im pretty sure it'll be the same for me? would it be a problem to pass smog?

Quick Reply: EX Conversion~!