Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exaust install

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM
HCF Member
Default exaust install

okay before you ask, yes i ahve read the exaust faq and i stiil need to clear something up, I know the 97 lx has the catlytic converter attached to the header, if i get a new exaust do i need to get a cat or will the one attached to my headers suffice, and if i get a header should i get the one with the cat attahed or should i get the dc race haeders and get a cat after that?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: exaust install

they dont make aftermarket headers with the cat still in it, so if you get any aftermarket header and want to stay emissions legal, you'll have to get one either welded in or bolted on

and yes the cat in the exhaust manifold will suffice if you get a catback, but as soon as you get that header thats no longer true

Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM

if you get the DC header and catback you might still be able to pass emissions, it depends if they hook your car up to a computer, or the smog hose on your exhaust tip. i am currently running catless, and i passed emissions. my friend works there and we wanted to see if it would pass so we gave it a try, hooked it up and everything was all good. so idk. i guess it depends on how they test you and where you live. i say get the catback keep your header and cat, see how it sounds, and if you want it louder, then slap on the header. you could also get a highflow cat, but now your talking about cutting and welding.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: warner_ro

if you get the DC header and catback you might still be able to pass emissions, it depends if they hook your car up to a computer, or the smog hose on your exhaust tip. i am currently running catless, and i passed emissions. my friend works there and we wanted to see if it would pass so we gave it a try, hooked it up and everything was all good. so idk. i guess it depends on how they test you and where you live. i say get the catback keep your header and cat, see how it sounds, and if you want it louder, then slap on the header. you could also get a highflow cat, but now your talking about cutting and welding.
on a D16y7, no matter what header you have it still takes away the cat.

But if you're saying you're passing emissions without a cat, i mean i guess go for it, but for smell/tone i'd get a universal cat welded somewhere anyway.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

Actually, Magnaflow makes an aftermarket exhaust manifold with a high flow cat. Check it out on procivic.com which I believe is one of our affiliates.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

WOW! I stand corrected!! I'm gonna add that to the Header FAQ btw, thanks alot man!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

yep that is what im lookin for . thanx guys

Old 10-07-2007, 11:06 AM

Hey, off topic question but; does it only apply for 7th gen civics. That you can swap over an ex exhaust to a lx with the cat after the header.. Or does that apply to the 6th gens too? thanks