Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Default Exhaust Tip

Im new to the forum so whats good everyone. I just recently bought a 96 Honda Civic and i plan on getting a exhaust tip. I read the FAQ and i looked on ebay and i went to advance auto parts. On ebay there was non namebrand muffler tips for about 20$ and at advance auto parts there was magnaflow mufflers for about 70$. Just wondering if i should spend that extra bucks and get the magnaflow muffler to get the nice sound?? Thank you for the people who do give me advice

Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

An exhaust tip is not going to give you the sound a new muffler would. i would get a new muffler. Its up to you how much you want to spend, no name vs name. i would take a look on craigslist ,see if any one in your area is selling a muffler.

Welcome to HCF.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by enigma34
An exhaust tip is not going to give you the sound a new muffler would. i would get a new muffler. Its up to you how much you want to spend, no name vs name. i would take a look on craigslist ,see if any one in your area is selling a muffler.

Welcome to HCF.
im pretty sure he actually meant a muffler buttttt to OP i would suggest getting a little exhaust tip from autozone than you just attach to end of stock muffler.

• No sound difference [which is good thing]
  • Same performance gain you would get from an ugly fart can muffler.
  • Looks great

Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

stay away from no name muffler, they look and sound like crap. IMO magnaflow is not bad.

are you looking for a tip or muffler?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

don't get a tip, or a muffler. Get a catback exahust system, better sound, and a littel performance.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 PM

With that tiny *** stock piping, not even a nice muffler will sound good. It'll be raspy.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
HCF Member

sorry not trying to be racist but thats such a mexican rice mod....

Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM

so i should but a new muffler and the whole system opposed to getting a muffler tip?? and a muffler tip wont make a difference in sound??

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by yeahhsuarez
a muffler tip wont make a difference in sound??
That is 100% correct. I remember when I was 15, my buddy, who was 16, took me to Pepboys down the street to get an "exhaust" for his Chevy Cavalier. This was before my car modding days since I wasn't even old enough to drive, so I didn't know any better at the time. We go over to the appropriate section, he picks a few muffler tips, then proceeds to the service desk. He asks the guy, "Which one of these would sound best on my Cavalier?". Well, all three employees behind the desk started to chuckle, so he knew something was up. The guy then explained that a tip won't do **** for sound, just looks. He then found out that if he wanted that exhaust sound, he would at least have to get a muffler welded on.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you want just a tip then that is just COSMETIC and is looks only. you will not get any performance or sound change what so ever no matter what the tip says!!!!
a tip is just for looks.

i like a decent tip if you like the stock exhaust quite....ive put them on my civics. im not a fan of the loud mufflers. i put a twin loop on my old civic which wasnt to bad BUT it got old pretty fast! so i just put a tip on my newest project civic tho i just removed it the other day since it shifted on me and was rattling.

but if you do get a tip make sure it is STAINLESS STEEL!!!!! if its not stainless steel its to cheap and will rust within 1 year and be garbage!!!!!!! stainless will last a very long time!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tip