Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Extra cash, mod time

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Default Extra cash, mod time

Guys, I am a complete newb when it comes to imports. I have experiance with mustangs and american trucks and my 96 cobra runs mid 10s all on my own work and time. I do however need actual advice when it comes to these high revving vtecs. I was wondering from experiance who knows what kind of muffler/exhaust that will leave me with some back pressure but not sound like an angry bumble bee. I am looking for a nice mellow note that opens up well when WOT. I also have a question about cold air intakes. A kid came into my work today with my car in blue and said that his engine hydro locked in the recent storms in Jersey because the water was high and the intake sat about three inches off the ground. Does anybody know how to avoid this other than avoid the big puddles? Again thanks ahead of time for the help because these cars are a mystery to me.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Extra cash, mod time

Any kind of exhaust with a canister style muffler (N1 stlye) is going to be really loud. Most come with silencers, but they sound like bees with them in. An exhaust with a muffler thats similar to what a factory muffler is will be reasonably quiet. Check out the thread below and listen to the two Rs*R systems and you can see what i mean. And the only sure way to keep from hydrolocking in big puddles is to just get a short ram intake.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Cereal Admin

For hydrolock, you can get a bypass valve for some CAI's... also, unless your car is completely slammed to the ground, you shouldn't have to worry about hyrdolock unless you're driving through really deep water... puddles won't do anything; small ponds will

Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

yea u shouldnt worry aboutthe intake problem. as far as an exhaust goes, the greddy evo is a very nice and reasonably quiet exhaust. the apexi ws2 is probably something more of what you want i guess though. just get an intake (aem, injen, k&n) and that will make vtec scream.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

I have a cold air, and have driven through huge thunderstorms before and had no issues. Don't worry about it.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM

thanks for the help guys. I know its still early but I have a feeling that the exhaust and intake will keep me happy only for so long. This car will be under warante for a while and was wondering what else you guys would suggest as far as bolt ons.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

you wont hydrolock unless the filter is COMPLTELY submerged in water, and if your really worried get an air bypass valve. AEM V2 intake is probably the best around, and alot of times the filter is mounted SRI style, so you wont have to worry about hydrolocking at all. Not sure how it sits for an 07 SI though, or if they even make one for your car yet.

RSR is probably the best sounding exhaust around, if you got money to drop i say go for the RSR ExMag. YouTube it if you want clips, soooo smooth.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Thats the thing, some kid came into my work without his brand new Si and said that water sucked up his CAI and hydrolocked the engine, the kid could have been a bull****ter but I would rather not call him out on it and ruin a perfectly good engine.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 AM
HCF Member

his car must be slammed and he must have drove through a small lake. Seems like a rare case, but if he really did hydrolock thats bad news.

Also, if you get a CAI and you're worried about hydrolocking, you can always just use the first pipe of the CAI and convert it to SRI. Thats what i did and i love it.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM

Cool, thanks, like I said in the first post I am used to american muscle but ths little honda moves pretty good for being stock and getting an average of 30 mpg.

Quick Reply: Extra cash, mod time