Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

FACT OR FICTION ON CAI IN A CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
HCF Member
Default FACT OR FICTION ON CAI IN A CIVIC

I was talkin to my neighbor yesterday and I was askin him questions about a cold air intake on a civic. He said all it will do is give it a louder sound, with little to no performance, and no noticeable mpg improvement. I have been doing a lot of research in this forum and was wondering what to believe. OH yeah this guy is an engineer at HONDA, so he should know what he is talkin aboot. I guess i would like to know if it is worth doing. cuz i would like it if it did give it a Noticable mpg or hp increase

But he also said (i saw a thread on this) they are safe from water gettin in them to the engine.

cant wait to here ur feedback

Old 07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: FACT OR FICTION ON CAI IN A CIVIC

There are quite a few threads around here on that.

Yeah, it gives a nice low hum, and it gives a few hp and some mpg. aYou can hydrolock if you go through standing water or something but they ussualy aren't a problem.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 PM

how can it not help, its getting cold dense fast moving air to the engine, i just put an AEM cai in my 98 ex and i noticed a big diference

Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM

this guy is an engineer at honda...WTF?!?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

The engineer at Honda....WTF is he doing there not knowing anything. Just keep doing research and dont listen to the enginerr.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:42 PM

you can hydrolock the engine but that is why they created water bypass valves that you stick on the intake to prevent water getting in the engine. As for sound, on my accord I removed the intake pipes to the resonator and noticed a huge difference in sound. A CAI not only eliminates the resonator but creates an easier, colder, straighter shot for the air to get to the engine. There is no way that won't improve engine performance in some way. The only difference then would be how easy it is for the air to get to the engine. If you have a bunch of sharp bends, say anything more than 45 degrees the air will slow down and the intkae wont be as effective. My $0.02

Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito.... they do help alittle and every little bit helps! also looks AWHOLE LOT BETER and also opens up ALOT of space under the hood!

i didnt get a expensive intake just a cheap ebay intake. my only dislike was i had to drill 1 extra hole for a vac hose that was in the stock tube so i desided its probably thier for a reason
and i sprayed the tube with some STRONG engine cleaner BUT wouldnt ya know it its realy bad for it and clouded the polished look. LMFAO

BUT ebay guy is REALY COOL!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

i got 2 free intakes well i will be doing a write up for him on the total instal on mine which ill have to put back stock for a few mins.LOL and my friends 95civic as well. tho he gets blue.....
tho with mine they come with a RED color... so if ya want black tell him when ordering! he sent me a black one when i complained.... GREAT GUY TO WORK WITH!

best thing i love about the intake is the sound

STOCK sound
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=MOV00911.flv

after CAI sound
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...take015mpg.flv

look at all this usless crap

Name:  cleaning001.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  75.4 KB

and AFTER instaled

NOW DOESNT THAT LOOK SO MUCH SEXIER just looks like it can breath easier!!!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

looks so much sexier

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

What kind of engineer is he (mechanical, electrical, industrial, etc). I think (but i'm not sure) that there is coolant flowing through the throttle body. If this is true, then the colder air that the CAI brings into the engine gets heated up again and you really don't see much of a benefit. I asked the same question to my autoshop teacher (ASE Master mechanic for 20+years) and he told me pretty much the same thing. He is the most knowledgable guy i've ever met as far as cars go so i tend to believe what he says. If the CAI really did give you more HP and better MPG why wouldn't honda install one stock?

Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

If the CAI really did give you more HP and better MPG why wouldn't honda install one stock?
Because Honda's market is to upwardly mobile middle aged people who don't want to "hear" their engine. Quiet = high end. Loud = econo-box.
It's all marketing. Otherwise every car would have a large exhaust, no AC, stripped interior...etc etc...

Quick Reply: FACT OR FICTION ON CAI IN A CIVIC