Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Generic CAI off of Ebay.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Default Generic CAI off of Ebay.

Hello yall, i purchased one of those generic Cold Air Intake kits off of ebay and installed it today. My car definatly has a tad more spunk to it, mostly because it's alot louder. It really roars, i love it. BUT, when i give it gas i can hear a sort of high pitched whine that at first seems like a belt (but impossible because i just had a 1200 dollar job done replacing all the belts and alternator), then when you listen closer it seems like a squeaking noise or whistle. Is it possible i didnt tighten it enough? Should i get something to better secure the breather valve for the engine?

This is the kit i got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

I know i should have saved up and thrown on the AEM but hey it was pretty darn cheap and all i wanted was to play with some performance modding for the first time.

I drive a 97 Civic DX 4 door
My car isnt expensive so its not that big of a deal if something goes wrong..

Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Generic CAI off of Ebay.

sounds like you have a vaccuum leak and its causing a whistle. listen with your hood up and rev the car to find out the exact source of the sound.

Berz out.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

my last civic hatch had the intake whistle. no matter what intake i put on it it would whistle. i actually used it a gas saving device. if the intake whistled i let of the gas until it stopped.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Ok i have posted a picture of it below. I just took it out for a spin and it seems to be whistling only when the gas is just beginning to be pressed. It is damn annoying, and it also coaxes me into slamming down the pedal and just letting loose cuz that makes the sound go away..

[IMG]local://upfiles/9511/7A684DABDE8D42D992778BA928ABC39D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Mehh alright i had my girlfriend sit in it and push down the petal to rev the engine, it turns out that its the filter thats making that weird noise. Or it atleast seems to be coming from the filter. Im going to take it off and play with it, idk maybe ill get a K&N filter to attach to it.

If i do decide to order another filter which one should i get?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

CAI's wistle, no way around it

Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Yeah man. My friend's GTI whistled like mad when he first put on his CAI. Just how it is. You'll get used to it.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 PM

I've got the exact same intake (although mine seems to be setup a little differently....) and yea it whistles a bit when I'm just starting to touch the gas. Just floor it more

Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Yea i decided against placing the pipe down towards the floor, so i sawzalled the curved bent pipe and just made the regular pipe longer as you can see.

Hey, question is the filter you got pre oiled? Or did you have to oil it?

*edit* gulp, if it isnt oiled, how can i find out, and what can i oil it with?

Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM

If you change the filter the noise will go away, and also plug the lil nub in the middle of the pipe that connects to the valve cover, you kno, the tube that comes with the kit, that connects from the valve cover to the intake, well anyways plug the intake with something then put a breather filter on the valve cover, So in that way Your intake wont be sucking up hot air from the valve cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Generic CAI off of Ebay.