Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

header doesn't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
HCF Member
Default header doesn't fit?

the header bolts on fine but touches the oil pan
is this bad?
i have not yet driven my car but wanted to yea/nea this before it ran
any answers would be helpful

Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Cereal Admin

What brand header is it? 1-piece or 2-piece? I'm going to assume that since you did a mini-me, you have an ex/si header (not sure if that would affect it; I doubt it would). Is everything torqued down right?

Could you get some pics of the header up to let us know exactly where/how much it's touching?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya most likely just a ebay header which fitment is always a hit or miss. if its touching the oil pan i would really try to make it clear if you could... all depends where its touching... only way to try and fix it would be to either just return it and get some money back OR if you know somebody with a torch and a vise bench, you could put the header together tight and then put it in a vise very tight and with a pipe put it in the rear collector and do your best to see what angle the end is pointed and try to torch the pipes a bit to get them abotu glowing and simply push down on the pipe to kinda bend the collector down more to clear the oilpan. but problem with that is depending where your piping is touching on the oil pan...

or another thing that just poped into my head is IF ITS A 2 PIECE HEADER... just a if it is simply unbolt that section and depending how tight the header is to the oil pan..... simply go buy some steel and a extra high temp gasket for the header that matches the one that came with the kit. then simply trace the shape of the header joint gasket with a marker and cut it out of the steel and then cut out the holes for the exhaust flow.
basically what your making is a spacer that will space the bottom section of the header lower to clear the oil pan more.... it all depends how thick of steel you can find. it would be best to just use one piece of steel but if you must use a few pieces of steel it would be best to use a gasket between layers to prevent leaking.
tho it wont work for a 1 piece header tho of course.... then youll be forced to heat and bend the tubes for clearance.

GOOD LUCK! i got lucky with my no name header and it actualy fit my old civic great. just a risk you take when trying to cheap out. hopefully it wasnt to much $$ and youll be able to make it fit with little effort.
but i wouldnt drive with it like that.... the extra heat could cook the oil alot quicker and posibly damage your oil pan or the header itself if the vibrations keep rubbing the pan.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

its a no name header that my friend basically gave to me
its a two piece so i think im gonna try to make a spacer

Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Does anyone know if Megan headers off ebay fit well

I found one for lx 2001-2005 but I'm afraid it won't fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ please don't postjack, and the search button helps with these kinds of questions. If it's a true MR piece, it should fit just fine. If not, it'll still probably fit okay. Welcome to the forum btw.

OP, I'd definitely suggest making the spacer. Just remember that you'll need longer bolts for everything to work right.