Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

header installment

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Default header installment

I just bought my dc 4-2-1 and all the exhaust shops say they dont install headers. Would it be better to take it to some other shop, or just do it myself? And how diffucult is it to acutally put them on, i plan to run a custom exhaust from the dc's when i get them on.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Default RE: header installment

My cuzn said when I get my header he'll do it for me. He said it's really easy. But I don't know if thats the case, don't you need to get under the car and maybe do some drilling into the header for the O2 sensor? Also connect the end to the cat which might be a pain in the *** from what I've read on with other peoples @ home install. Other then that I think its a direct bolt off & on type of install job. Lets get some confirmation from the crew though just to make sure.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

I just did this install about a month ago. Took me about 1.5 hours, but ive never done anything like it and was working alone(it will be easier with some help). It's really easy and the dc headers come with a harness to extend the O2 sensor and they already have a hole tha tyou just screw the sensor into. All you have to do is take off the heat shield. Take of the exhaust manifold, take the O2 sensor out of it, attach the new harness extender and attach the new header. Just make sure that you tighten it to the recommended strength. Good luck, it really is easy. If you can do an oil change, you can do this.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Nah... its not hard to do.
I just put my header and cat-back exhaust on my 95 Civic hatchback today.

You'll need :
2 jack stands, 4 if your doing the cat-back at the same time.
1 hydraulic jack ( a good one...not some little dinky thing)
1 set of Metric tools, 3/8 drive set should be fine. Thats what I used.
1 set of metric wrenches
1 Cresent (or "monkey") wrench
Some penetrating oil (spray)

Your header should come with the fitting to install the O2 sensor.
It may have been relocated further down the exhaust line. Mine was right where the original manifold bolted to the "A" pipe. With the header, it was moved to the spot right in front of the cat. If this is the case with your header, the header kit should come with a set of "extension" wires, since the sensor has been moved further away from its original location. You should solder these wires together accordingly, you dont want any loose connections on your O2 sensor, if your not good at soldering wires, any Stereo shop can do it for you.
You should get a new O2 sensor too. No sense in monkeying around trying to get the old one out of the original manifold.

Jack the car up on level ground, set the jack stands under the car in a secure location, ease the pressure of the jack till the car is resting on the jack stands. Now standing next to the car, with no one under it, kinda give it a little wiggle. if the cars is gonna fall, youd rather it fall with no one under it. If all is good, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery (10 mm)
Remove the bolts that hold the original heat shield in place (12 or 14mm), then remove the heat shield. This will expose approximately 8 nuts that hold the manifold to the engine block, spray these with penetrating oil.
Now get down on the ground. You'll need a 14mm and a 12mm (one can be a socket on your ratchet, the other a six point box end wrench) Spray the bolts right where the cat bolts to the "A" pipe. Take your tools and remove these two bolts.
Next there are two 12mm bolts on a bracket that help support the "A" pipe that is bolted to the engine block, remove these two nuts with your tools (wrench or socket)
Now, there are 3 more nuts to take of from the bottom, these are the nuts that secure the "A" pipe to the exhaust manifold. These "should" be 12mm. Take your socket and ratchet, you may need an extension too, and loosen all three. Once they are all loose, remove 2 of them. The 3rd one you will have two hold the "A" pipe with one hand while you take the last nut off. If you dont do it this way, the pipe may fall down and hit you in the head, it will only hurt a little though, so dont fear.
Now that the "A" pipe is removed, you can stand up, stretch a little, and then take the manifold off.
First, unplug the O2 sensor. Now start to remove the 8 something nuts (12mm), BE CAREFUL. DO NOT BREAK THESE OFF. They should come off pretty easy though, because you sprayed them before you went under the car. Once they are all off, gently pull the manifold away from the engine, then remove the gasket.

Installation is just as easy, your header may even come with instructions, if not, just reverse the removal procedure.
Put the new gasket on, install the top portion of the header (the "4" part of the 4-2-1) where the original manifold was, tighten it all up.
If the O2 sensor has been moved to the other end of the header (the "2-1" part of the 4-2-1) install the new O2 sensor now. Use never seize on the threads of the O2 sensor (should be some already on there if its new)
Now get back on the ground, install the second half of the header (the "2-1" part of the 4-2-1) using all new gaskets supplied with the header kit. Tighten it all up, plug up your O2 sensor, reconnect the battery.

Start it up! Check for exhaust leaks, if all is good, shut it off, jack the car up a little, remove the jack stands, SLOWLY lower the car back down to the ground.
Put your tools away, clean up your mess, and look at it and say, "I did it myself!"

Time wise: I did my header and cat-back today in two hours. I took my time, made sure all was good. DONT RUSH you dont want to have to get back under the car just because you were in a hurry.

Hope this helps

Old 10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

Btw your check engine light will probably come on unless you disconnect and reconnect your battery to reset the ecu.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

jsut be sure it matches your pipes, cat sensor...

on my 99 EX it was extermely easy to instal! just be sure to spray the bolts with some penitrating oil before trying to loosen the bolts on the header and pipes......

BUT if im right yours is a 95 DX... so you will delete your cat..... just be prepared to deal with that CEL light

i went thru some crap while instaling mine cause my o2 sensor was located up front instead of in the rear like on my EX... i tried extending the wires but still got the CEL light on my gauges... so i had to weld another O2 bung in the pipe where its suposed to go and resolder the o2 sensor wires back short again. and after i did that the light hasnt been on since.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM

nice DIY m8

Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM
HCF Member

guys, would u mind giving me a diagram of how to do it? i got my ceramic heder and dont know and afraid to take the risk. i got a 2000 JDM LEV

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM

i have a 97 civic, when i put my headers on, is going to eliminate the cat below the current manifold i have on now?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM

^ Same goes for my car on my 96 hatch when i installed my header it took the Cat tht was on the bottom of Headers away. but i thinkall the EK civic come with 2 cats anyways one up top where the headers is at and one belowwere the exhuast pipe is at. it also took me almost 2 hour to install my DC header those damn pre existing nuts were so damn rusty and hard to pull

Quick Reply: header installment