Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Header/Intake Manifold worth the money on 95 1.6L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 AM
HCF Member
Default Header/Intake Manifold worth the money on 95 1.6L?

I have a 1995 1.6L EX coupe with 160K miles on it and the OEM cast iron manifold is cracked in the center webbing. I wanted to ask this, is the power gain noticable and worth-while changing to a header and would doing a intake manifold be something felt by the butt-dyno?

I'm not going to rice this car out, I'm not fast and I sure am not furious.... but a fun sporty ride until the tired/old engine goes BANG! would be interesting.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

they dont do much, but I would get a megan racing header if you dont live in california

Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

So from what your saying.... Won't do much.... go to a Junk Yard and get another stock cast iron one?

I'm assuming that your hinting that the money lost vs power gained does not tip the scales favorably...?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

You'll see a few horses from an aftermarket header, but any gains on the butt-dyno are most likely going to be more of a placebo effect than anything. Realistically, you're looking at 2-5whp from a header; there are some (*cough* bisimoto *cough*) headers dyno proven for ~15whp gains on single cams, but the cheapest you'll find one for will be in the neighborhood of $500. Honda's header design is fairly efficient from the factory (which is why you don't see huge gains with aftermarket headers), so it pretty much takes an equal-length tubular design to see any significant gain.

Personally, I'd go with the aftermarket header, especially if you plan on modifying the car (and since you're here, I'll assume you plan on it). As for the intake manifold, I wouldn't think the gains would be huge, but throw a bigger throttle body and (most importantly) a nice aggressive cam on, and your car will get quite a bit livelier

Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 PM

If you have to replace it anyway, you might as well get a Megan Racing header.

Intake manifolds are great to upgrade because you never will lose it no matter what other mods you do, unless you supercharge it, which is not common anyway on a 4 cylinder.

I recommend instead of getting a new intake manifold to just get a B18 throttle body (60mm) (must be for manual transmission) and then get the stock intake manifold bored out to 60mm on the throttle body port. Then, get your head ported and polished and get the intake manifold's runners port matched.

Also, 160k is nothing. You could get twice that out of that engine if it's maintained well. Granted you may have to replace all your seals and some rod bearings, but the engine could last a very long time.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

Yeah my 98 hx has 162k on it and I will be boosting soon so dont worry about mileage too much. A slong as the motor was well cared for. As for the header go for it it will be cheaper than an OEM manifold and will get u more hp and you will feel it, trust me. The intake mainfolds are pricey and not worth the gains on a basically stock D16.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

I can get a Professional Products 59001 intake : Power Plus intake mainfold Honda B16A & Type R(B18C-5) engines satin finish for $175

Pacesetter 701149 header is $169.

Headman 37030 Header $190

BBK 1546 62mm throttle spacer $243

So about $600 for intake man, header and a bigger throttle body.

Would that package make much change in how it feels?

Really I'm trying to decide if I should spend some money on making it run a bit better...and if so I'll patch the quarters and keep it a while. If not, I'll run it till the body falls apart and scrap it.

The body work is not a real big deal, I can do it in my shop. Plus I would not be doing show quality, just 20 feet/20MPH quality.

I wont be buying the Megan racing expensive stuff, I can make anything fit as long as it starts out close. I have a plasma and a mig... and I'm not afraid to use them!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM

With everything you want installed at once, you'll notice some difference in power. If you put parts on one by one, you won't notice a difference between any of them, and if you do it's probably the placebo effect.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't think a b-series intake manifold will fit a d16y8, but I'm not 100% on that. Also, a Megan Racing header should be around $160+shipping... also, where are you looking for that Hedman header? The Hedman Hedders Chikara header I had on my ej1 was ~$160 shipped from Summit Racing.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I don't think a b-series intake manifold will fit a d16y8, but I'm not 100% on that.
it won't
i didn't even notice he said that. lol

Quick Reply: Header/Intake Manifold worth the money on 95 1.6L?