Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

headers or no headers ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Default headers or no headers ???

just a quick ? i was lookin into gettin some headers for my si and i was wondering should i get ds sports or just go with the cheap knock off ones ?? what r the pros and cons of headers ?? do they go bad or anything ?? please help thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/162/2E67ADB15AED46929B2C59985DAD204A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-18-2004, 02:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: headers or no headers ???

go with the quality ones. id go with dc or greddy. headers have to be tuned to an engine to get maximum power and the bigger companies spend more money on R&D, so they will make more power. and as long as you dont bottom out all the time they shouldnt ever "go bad". a side note though. on our old si, the greddy headers started leaking because the torque of the motor would rock it back and forth hard enough to flex a small brace near the bottom of it enough to tear it off of the header. personally i would and always will cut that little tab off and go without.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

first off... its header, singular[sm=smiley2.gif]

Second, some of the "cheapie" ones arent carb and/or smog legal. If thats the case then you run the chance of your car being impounded because its illegal. DC, Greddy, companies like this are all carb approved and legal. Plus like said above, the research put into it is amazing.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: polo708

first off... its header, singular[sm=smiley2.gif]
errrrrrrr i got beat...... any how the only downside of a header depending on what your buying. the dc header tends to cause low rpm tq loss but higher rpm hp gains. its a give or take situation. any straight design header will do this. on the other hand you can get a stepped header which will broaden the tq curve as well as gain some mid range hp. now if you want the best of both worls you would have a stepped header that is tuned to the car which will look like a pile of snakes under there. take the bisi header for example. its a stepped long tube header which from the dyno graphs i have seen are amazing gains even in stock form. but the cost of his header is roughly $650 and is only available to my understanding for the sohc d and f powerplants.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:27 PM

ok thanks a lot guys ! im going to buy the dc sport "HEADER" (singular) lol ! >>>> sacicons what is ur old si ? and what tab ?? please explain ! i have a 99 si will i still have the prob that ur talking about ? thanks for all your help

Old 07-19-2004, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

there is a small( about 3-4 inch long) tab with 2 bolt holes that comes off the side of the header, about where the bend stops. the way it bolts to the car, it doesnt move right with the motor and it could flex back and forth enough to break through.