Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hello! Induction Kits - K&N vs AEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Default Hello! Induction Kits - K&N vs AEM

firstly, hi guys, i was thinking of introducing myself and my new civic in the new member forum but i had no picture of it yet to show u guys. its just the bog standard 1.5 lsi so u should know what it looks like. ive seen some amazing civics on here i'll add.

ive only got back couple of hours ago having bought my civic. i got it at a good price. its a 1996 1.5 lsi in navy blue. first thing ive dun is looked for civic forums to join up to give and get advice for my car to modify it.

anyway, now that ive introduced myself, induction kits! seems like it will be my first mod (although i look for 17 alloys and lowering at the same time).

ok, so do induction kits really add that 5-8bhp that my brother goes on about? my mate says that u'd be lucky to get 1-2bhp increase from an induction kit. i dunno what to believe. all i know is that it sounds sooo nice! my bro has one in his almera gti. Thing is, ive seen K&N induction kits for £80, and im tempted for that. im only a 21 yr old student so i am on a budget. the AEM induction kits are expensive arnt they?

so...does an induction kit add bhp or no? how much bhp? which brand? how much? and where can i buy it from?

thanks for any advice and help.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hello! Induction Kits - K&N vs AEM

Welcome to the forum!!!
First off with Aem and K&N's intakes you should expect 2-5 hp gains, 5-8hp seems pretty high to me, dont expect that much. And since your car is breathing better with an intake, you rev faster and get better mpg. Although name brands are more expensive you can expect correct fitment and detiled instructions.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

aem is preferred by most, but there is nothing wrong with k&n. cold air intake will add a little more than a short ram, but it is more expensive and if you live somewhere where there is alot of standing water/puddles, then the cold air isnt for you. i guess it just all depends on if you have the fender well covering things to keep the water out of your engine bay or not. welcome to the forum!

Old 12-30-2005, 03:50 PM

u wont get that much hp out of the intake but u will feel smoother revs. u will get more power out of a cold air than a short ram but be careful not to drive thru deep puddles of water. name brands such as AEM, Injen, and K&N are all very good and are guaranteed to fit perfectly. probably the cheapest place u'll find intakes is Ebay. name brand short rams will cost u about $60-$120 on most sites and cold airs will probably run u $150 and up unless u get lucky on ebay and find something cheaper.(american money).

good luck on ur search/buy and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! [sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

K&N or AEM..you will be very happy with eather one, AEMs are expensive and if your on a budget then go with K&N if its cheaper...like i sead, you wont be dissipointed with eather

Old 12-31-2005, 02:14 AM

With cold air intakes, there isnt a huge performance difference (maybe 1 or 2 horsepower) between a name brand like AEM, and a knock off, in this case its mostly paying for a name.

Cold Air>Short Ram

And as long as your car isnt a submarine you dont have to worry too much about water log, and dont get the bypass valve.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]
ur gunna give kids in japan a seziure with that

dont listen to these guys. theyre anti IHE. an intake alone can result in 5-8hp...usually closer to 5. and it will increce throttle responce like crazy. so it will feel likeyou just got 51632hp (k not that much but more than 5).

welcome to the forum!!