Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

help with exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Default help with exhaust systems

so what exactly would be best for a civic? does it realy give enough hp to buy one for that... or would you rather just buy one for sound.... and which one has more non riceage... i want my car to sound like it looks.... mean. but if it realy halps performance then id choose pform over sound. opinions and experience plz

Old 02-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Default RE: help with exhaust systems

P.S.... i cut out my cat and welded in a strait pipe

Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 AM

Well yes, of course it adds power, and the amount of power it adds will vary proportionally depending on what else you've done performance-wise. But just a heads-up: if you decide to buy a system, don't let anyone talk you into anything over about 2.5" ID piping. Especially not with a chopped cat.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:53 AM
HCF Member

Whats the difference between exhaust system and cat-back anyway???

Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 AM

Cat-back is just what it sounds like: all the piping from the cat(alytic) converter back. A cat back sytem is a type of exhaust system, while a full system includes everything from front to back (including the header and cat).

Old 02-10-2005, 12:58 AM

cat-back IS an exhaust system... i think.. punch my in the neck and call me a **** if im wrong....

SO WOULD duel ehaust... or should i say.. duel muffler take away from performance?

Old 02-10-2005, 01:04 AM

You're absolutely right about cat-back being a type of exhaust system.

And I would bet that duallies wouldn't help you at all on a Civic, not to mention the undeniable rice factor. If you slapped them onto a 2.5" system, you would probably end up moving all your power up too high to be very useful as a daily driver (I've never put duallies on a Civic, so anyone else who knows differently feel free to step in and tell me if I'm wrong about this...)

Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

[>:] look down upon on dually civs but to each his own..wont do u much good tho.

like kappa said..cat back is from the cat converter back..full exhaust is from manifold back..

Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

i love the look of dual exhaust when its done right, but im not about to do it until i figure a way to need it. like that twin turbo setup my buddys working on i wouldnt believe anyone else about that **** working, but he sent me the blueprints and pictures of the turbos, so when he says 358 WHP on a mild-tune with a built GSR, then i believe him. but generally they will hurt the power on a civic because the split in the pipe slows down the exhaust gases, the same way that a gutted cat would. a straight pipe is better than a gutted cat, but its not really worth the couple of HP over a high-flow. go with the Greddy EVO 2, its a throaty exhaust sound, not ricey at all, and has some of the highest gains of the quality systems out there.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:29 PM

There you have it, in a nutshell.

Quick Reply: help with exhaust systems