Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Help moding a Honda Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Default Help moding a Honda Civic DX

ok ok... i am going to sound like a complete noob... but im fresh off the club rsx boat to help my friend mod her civic... and i thought i would check dis place out... anywayz

What can I do to her car?

Is a cold air intake, like on a rsx, the only good intake for power? or for civics short rams jus as good power wise...?

For an exhaust... What do you guys recommend fits best? We dont want to spend much hopefully under 400...

Any other good mods that are easy to do for this vehicle?

Also the car has no tach for RPMS... it is a manual... anyone have pics of a good tach on their Civic?

What else is there that is good?

What is the name of the engine on the DX...

Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help moding a Honda Civic DX

what year?

Old 02-18-2006, 11:04 PM

2002 i believe... im not even sure if it's a DX lmao... i know it's not an ex however...

Old 02-18-2006, 11:21 PM

SRI is better for low end power and CAI is better for high end. Theres prolly only a 2-3hp difference between them and about $100 difference in price but seems like most ppl on here like CAI.

For exhaust, there are a ton a choices for under $400. I got my magnaflow for $345 i believe and i love it. I hear megan racing is pretty good too. search around on ebay, u'll find some really good and cheap stuff.

while installing the exhaust, u could throw in a short throw shifter. real cheap, real easy to install and it does make a noticable difference.

u can also get a cheap header on ebay, i got my DC sports there for a lil under $250.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2006, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

modding non-EX 7th gens isnt cheap. you will need to do a full exhaust conversion to get that to work, and a good engine swap will be at least 5000 bones. ]

heres how you should start if you dont want too much more of a power gain over stock:
DC Sports 4-2-1 header (its gunna be desigined for the EX, there is no LX model for this generation)
Random Technologies High-Flow Cat (or Magnaflow if you dont wanna fork up 250 for a cat)
Greddy EvoII exhaust (make sure its made for the EX or it wont line up with your cat and header)
1 O2 simulator

it'd be sweet if you could pull the D17 and build the bottom end, give it a nice 12:1 compression ratio, and get some ITBs, and a nice big cam. the setup up there, plus the CR, plus ITBs, plus a cam, plus a good tune, would give you a sweet 250hp at least...prolly pushing on 300.

have fun.

again...its not cheap modding these cars. make sure you have the money to do what you want.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:56 AM
HCF Member

from my perspective, i dislike cai, ive seen too many cars in the shop, because they sucked up a puddle of water and then the crank goes....and then.... and then.... , sad part is, i live in los angeles, hardly ever rains, yet this problem continues to occur, i can only imagine what this is doing in .. oh, lets say, seattle, where they get a litttle rainfall, nearly evereyday
ORIGINAL: civicexracer

SRI is better for low end power and CAI is better for high end. Theres prolly only a 2-3hp difference between them and about $100 difference in price but seems like most ppl on here like CAI.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM

jwsimons, i agree with u on the CAI. i was just giving him a little knowledge on power and price. i have an SRI that i got for $75 and i have no problems or complaints. reason i wouldnt get a CAI is: cost to much, 2-3hp isnt that big of a deal to me, and i reeeally dont have the funds to fix an engine that hydrolocks so i'd rather be on the safe side.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:40 AM

Definately gonna have to do an EX exhuast setup, for the 7th gens I don't think theres much of a difference between SRI and CAI power wise. A 7th gen random tech cat is gonna warrent buying a 4-1 top part only header.

build the bottom end, give it a nice 12:1 compression ratio
I'm pretty sure that getting a 12:1 compression ratio would require milling the head as well. and if you gonna do ITBs may as well spend the money on a P&P and port matching.

Many people will tell you to get an engine swap. *shrug* I think the engine can be worthwhile.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 PM

^ but a k20A is just plain sexy

Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

but who can complain when you're beating SRT4s and V8 Stangs with the bastard child of the Ds?

chimera...i agree with you on the PnP, but after ITBs and PnP along with an EX exhaust setup and internals running 21:1...along with head milling...it would prolly be better to just get a K. unless you want the bragging rights of a D17 running in the 200-300 hp range.

Quick Reply: Help moding a Honda Civic DX