Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Home Made Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Home Made Short Ram

My friend brought me a curved piece of aluminum piping he had and we decided to make an intake for my car (I bought a filter from autozone). My car is '99 EX Sedan. All we have to do it weld on like 2 bungs, one for some vacuum line or something thats connected to it, and the other for the intake air temperature sensor (TA sensor) or whatever its called. Anyways, my friend hasn't had time to weld it the past few days, so I was wondering, would it be bad to drive around with the intake, without the line connected, and just with the temperature sensor sitting in the engine bay, and not hooked up. It already threw a CEL when I disconnected it but I'm not worried about that because I'll just get it reset after we finish it.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Home Made Short Ram

Why weld? Just drill your holes and slide them in.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

You can't really slide the vacuum tube in really.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

Yes you can I had a cheap piping and you can slide the tube inif you drilled a hole that issame thing I did.

It worked fine but I had to get ride of it because I live in California and most of the times where they have a DUI check ups. They will check your cars for illegal modifications. So i didn't want to risk it so I decided to Buy an AEM short ram intake because they come with the CARB numbers.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

Thats really ghetto that way though. How is intake illegal? Well I guess in california it might be, but here, probably not.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ltkenbo

Thats really ghetto that way though. How is intake illegal? Well I guess in california it might be, but here, probably not.
Well buddy here is California they are very strict. Cops are asses out here if they inspect your car andthe CARB # is gone from the tube It's not legal anymore and your screwed up, Yeah I know it sucks. You will get a fix it ticket or just a straight out ticket [:'(]

Yeah that will look ghetto but it will do the trick

Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

That does suck, lol. Yeah in Tennessee I don't think they really care about it. I'm in Cookeville, TN right now (for college) but in Memphis, where I've lived for the past 3 yeras, they don't care about anything except speeding. People drive around town with like 2 1/2% tint all around, lol.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM

If your worried about it looking ghetto just get a new one from AEM haha. But you asked for something to get you buy until your buddy could weld it and that would be an easy way to it. Besides, you going to need those holes there anyhow since your buddy will be welding bungs on it. Drill it out, get the rubber rings like you get when you buy an intake and put in the hole and it should look fine.

I mean come on man, your not taking your car to a pretty party every weekend are you? haha...Just playing. Do what you like best and run with it man.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

I actually put it on last night. What I'm gonna do is drill the hole for the sensor when I go home and then wait for the vacuum one till he can weld it in the shop at our school. Anyways, intake sounds pretty sweet, I can feel a small noticable HP gain too. I was thinking about an AEM one but there 2 expensive and your not really paying for much for then brand.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

They put research in there aem v2 intakes.

Quick Reply: Home Made Short Ram