Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

i/h/e

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM
HCF Member
Default i/h/e

okay so my car comes in like 13 days but i will have 600 dollars by october, so im going aem sri and dc race headers, and hopefully by christmas i will have enough for a cat back(not sure wha brand im goin with thier) my question is the difference between headers to a cat and then to a catback and jsut the headers to the catback, it was a big discussion on another forum my friends told me about

Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Default RE: i/h/e

i dont understand ur question? hp wise if u have an full exhaust system with a high flow cat than u should be good. the same goes for if u just had a full Catback system with no cat.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I think he means what's the difference between running with a straightpipe and running with a cat. In which case, just get a high-flow cat. It's environmentally-friendly and there's a 1hp difference between high-flow cats and no cat.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

i got the DC sport header, with skunk2 catback...no cat... i also have the injen CAI. i would suggest getting the CAI/SRI first, then your catback exhaust. see how you like the sound. then when your money's right, get the race header. you wanna be able to get the exhaust out before putting on other parts. having the header on the stock exhaust, idk. i waited to get my header, and i put the catbakc on myself. the race header was another story. took about 3-4 hours and was a pain.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Actually, I'd say get the header before the exhaust... think about it. With an exhaust but a stock manifold, the exhaust is compressed in the exhaust manifold, so the cat-back is for the most part just a nice shiny noisemaker. But if you have the header before the cat-back, you have free-flowing exhaust up until the cat-back, then you have the restriction. But all in all, it's best to have an i/h/e and a high-flow cat (please keep things planet-friendly... use a catalytic converter!).. that way, there's virtually no restriction in the air's path at all.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

yeah that is what i was talkin about , th edifference between running the full catback with or without a cat.
now the whole header before exauseor exast before headers thing is still open to discussion, why one before the other?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

if i had $600, i'd go lowering springs, tint, and intake.

EDIT: actually, i'd prolly go springs, new wheels, then intake, then tint (but that will be well over $600)

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, go for a suspension mod like the above poster said...you can get some Skunk 2 Coilovers for about $250 I belive, get your CAI/SRI, and get something else like a lip kit or something....

Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 AM
HCF Member

okay, im thinkin wheels, then coilovers and then performance, but im mean im gettin your opinions before i do anything, so if you want performance, tell me and if you want apperance, tell me, thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 AM
Administrator

forget that, go i/h/e. thats what you originally wanted, so stick with it. youll enjoy your car so much more, trust me. then, when your ready slide some suspension mods on there. but do it right. dont just go with springs, go with struts too.