Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Debate

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Default RE: Intake Debate

I believe Injen makes a CAI extension for there SRI's. Something to look for.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM

For any one thinking about getting a cai the injen is a 2 piece system that puts the filter directly in front of the right front tire. It states right on the intake not to use it in the rain. I accidently had it on in the rain in southern california, not Washington, and it is not good, power loss, vibration. Now I take off the bottom half when it rains and I have a SRI tOO! Takes Like 5 minute to do this.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

Just an idea I'm throwing out there, but if somebody would just type up a paragraph or two basically saying a Cai (draws in colder, denser air) generally equals more hp, but more maintenance, and an Sri (draws in hotter, less dense air) generally equals slightly less HP, but slightly better throttle response, without the VERY slight chance of hyrdolocking. And putting it as a sticky so there isn't always a thread about if somebody should get a CAI or SRI that would be AWESOME [8D]

peace, Evan

Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 AM

I would like to throw in my 2 cents here. My first post on this forum. I was told not to get the AEM CAI because it would suck in water and blow up my engine due to hydro-lock. I live in B.C. Canada where it does rain and snow almost 40% of the year. I bought it anyway and did some testing in my '99 Si coupe with the B16A2 engine. After install (on a very rainy day) I took it for a boot at low, medium, and high speed through fairly deep (about 3" of water) lifting off the throttle as I went through the water and checked the filter element in between runs. To my surprise the filter element was completely dry. I have gone through my second winter with this intake and I recently took the element out to clean it. NO WATER HAS EVER TOUCHED THIS ELEMENT. The metal end cap is as clean as the day I bought it as is the piping inside the fender well. I find this surprising considering some spray does make it's way onto the piping inside the engine compartment. For some reason the filter element inside the fender stays extremely dry. I have 55,000kms on this intake and it blows the short ram intake I had on it before out of the "water". Too easy[8D]. I notice no loss of power at lower revs and solid gains (seat of the pants) between 5,500 - 8,200 rpm. Besides exhaust, ignition, fuel management tweaking, and rev limit increase, my engine internals are stock. I'm so confident with this system that I no longer "lift" off the throttle through standing water. Just my experience and I thought I would pass it on to you.

Also note that spray on the filter element isn't anything to be concerned of anyway. Only if you sink the element under water would it begin to suck up water and spaghetti your connecting rods.

I also have the car dropped 1 1/2" and run 205/50/15" Kumho 712's. I'm not sure if the unique spray patern of these tires is why my fender well stays so dry.

Hope this helps put your minds at ease although I don't know about the fender well design and water resistance of cars other than mine.

Cheers!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

Honestly there is way too much thought going on about a stupid pipe with a cone filter on the end. One is 10 inches longer than the other...........its whatever u choose do get. Either one is better than stock. Hondas dont have MAF's so you could put a freaking filter over the throttle body if u wanted, thats a slim ram intake, and they make insane power numbers. [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 AM

Like I said. Just my 2 cents. I just happened to notice a "noticeable" gain when I switched from SRI to CAI and about 1-2mpg improvement. I don't sell the stuff so I don't care which way people go, I just had good results and thought I would pass on my findings. Then again I will be selling the CAI shortly and boosting to 14psi so 3-4 hp isn't something I'm gonna be getting all bent out of shape about anyway.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Okay so I'm new to this forum but I've seen this argument 100 times over so I have to throw in my two cents since I'm one of the few people with first hand experience Hydro Locking an engine... I torched my 94 Civic with the AEM V2.... Here's what happened.... I'm an idiot... Everyone is right you're not going to hydro lock in rain alone. I drove through a SEVERE tornado warning in Kansas just outside topeka with literally at least 3" of FLOWING water running down the freeway and had no problems whatsoever after driving in it for like 3 hours, I couldn't see jack... Now, I later on lost my fender well skirt thus exposing my intake to my front tire, still no problems with water alone except under WOT with the filter SOAKING WET and a bit of slush it would BOG down bad under WOT. Then I went down a slushy road and packed snow around the intake, my car died, wouldn't start for like 2 days, I just let it sit and dry out, then it started eating Oil BAD and I noticed the engine was shot... I've still got the car and I miss it cause I had a TON of crap for it...

Bypass Valves: Good idea for a CAI they are cheap and don't come in until you're filter is hydro-locked. But beware, you CAN NOT use one on the AEM V2 without custimization and even then AEM suggests not to get one. Needless to say I live in a snowy winter climate so CAI is not a good choice for me. And when looking at Dyno's you're getting like literally 1-2HP difference if even that much.

Conclusion: if you get a CAI get a bypass valve, it's suggested by most manufacturers anyway. If you don't get a bypass valve be sure that all of your parts are installed, that skirt that cost me my engine... $18.00 + s/h from honda...

Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Honestly there is way too much thought going on about a stupid pipe with a cone filter on the end. One is 10 inches longer than the other...........its whatever u choose do get. Either one is better than stock. Hondas dont have MAF's so you could put a freaking filter over the throttle body if u wanted, thats a slim ram intake, and they make insane power numbers. [sm=bangbang.gif]

+ INFINITY

Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

I living in HOUSTON. Which one should I buy???????????????????????????????? SRI or CAI. plz guys

Old 06-27-2006, 03:42 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words... it may be an RSX but the same priniples apply!

after 3 runs with hi engine temperature

And at last Hi temp with AEM vs INJEN!

Quick Reply: Intake Debate