Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Default Intake help??

When you're installing a longer air intake, like one that goes all the way down to the bumper, what is the easiest way of removing the old stock intake without taking off the bumper. I tried looking in a manual but they didnt mention air intakes at all. If anyone has one suggestions please help. By the way my civic is a 92 Lx.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Intake help??

I can't really remember back that far to when I first installed my CAI, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to take the bumper off because there is a piece of tubing that has to be pulled out from the bottom. But it's really not that hard at all to take off the bumper. There's just a whole bunch of clips on top, a screw in each wheel well, and 2 bolts on the bottom of the bumper.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:09 PM

I am not sure how it is in your civ but mine 98 DX I din't need to take off my bumper and even if you did it is easy to take it off.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 PM

Don't you have to take the bumper off so that you can put the filter onto the end of the pipe?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

i didnt have to, i just cranked the wheels all the way to one side, then pulled out the fender liner from the bottom, that gave me just enough room to get the filter in.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:13 PM

i know in the 4th gens. u have to take the bumper off to get the air box out of the way...i dont have a CAI but whn i tried to take that box out with the bumper on it was imposible...i tried for a good 15 min and gave up...i took it out when i had the bumper out for the ac..

Old 12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

yeah, the box was already gone outa mine, so i guess you might hafta take it out, i took mine out long before i put in the CAI, i had an SRI before, and i was cutting weight anywhere i could

Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 AM

I have another question about air intakes. An intake is pretty much only comprised off pipe with a filter at the end. Lets assume there is lots of air circulating in the engine bay, couldn't one just attach a K&N filter on the end of the throttle body. It would save money and the circulating air has to travell a much shorter distance. Please respond with some ideas. Thanxs

Old 12-06-2004, 02:01 AM

are you talking about that whole air box thats under the bumber?!?! I took mine out without removing practically anything. i turned the wheel all the way to the right, then took off a few screws from the wheel well plastic and left it there just loose.Then I took off the plastic underneath the bumber. It was a pain IN THE ***!!! It tool a lot of wiggling. OH, also there is another piece that comes off of that whole box thing. I believe I was told in a post that I made, that bulky black box is called a resonator. There is a small piece that comes off of it to make it a little easier. There are also two bolts I think inside the engine compartment that hold it down, you have to take those off too. Then put everything back the way it was. Good Luck!!

Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: mpilic

I have another question about air intakes. An intake is pretty much only comprised off pipe with a filter at the end. Lets assume there is lots of air circulating in the engine bay, couldn't one just attach a K&N filter on the end of the throttle body. It would save money and the circulating air has to travell a much shorter distance. Please respond with some ideas. Thanxs
Well, if you just slap the filter onto TB, you will just suck in hot air from the engine bay. That's why they invented CAI - to suck in cold air from the outside. However, if put a scoop above the filter, you will get cold air and ram air effect

Quick Reply: Intake help??