Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Mani or ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 PM
HCF Member
Default Intake Mani or ZEX?

I was planing on getting a wet ZEX kit this summer but I would only be able to use it like 3 times a year at the track so I was thinking that I might want to get a Skunk2 Intake manifold, 62mm throttle body, and a Greddy Evo2 Exhaustso I could have a few more hp (maybe 10-15?) all the time instead of just while I'm dragging. What do you guys think?

My current engine mods:
[ul][*]Ebay short ram intake[*]Ebay headers[*]High flow cat converter[*]Rice can[/ul]
(All my engine mods were done by the previous owner thats why they are all ebay crap.)

Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Intake Mani or ZEX?

i am glad you pointed out that they were done by the previous owner lol. Yeah i would go for the mods that provide consistant power rather then temp power that does way too much harm. Nos can = bad things. where as the I/M just allows better air flow. i would go for the I/M. Hell i was gonna get a Z6 one but could find one locally

Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

cat-back, i/m period.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

I pretty much decided that I'm pretty much going to drop my entire exhaust system and replace the ebay **** with good parts. I am going to get ceramic coated DC Sports 4-2-1 headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Greddy Evo2 catback. Then I will be out of money for a while lol. Next summer I think I will get a job then I can get the Skunk2 intake mani and throttle body.
I think that I will make a rough estimate of how much hp I should end up with.

Stock - 127hp
Ebay SRI - ~3hp
Intake Mani, tb- ~7hp
Headers - ~5hp
Catback - ~6hp
Final hp - ~148hp Give or take?

Two Questions:
Does that sound about right or not?
Should I get a one or two piece header?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

dont add your hp gains like that, or you could be dissappointed. if each one gives you those gains, they wont give them at the same rpms, so realistically, take your anticipated gains and cut them in half, and spread them through the whole rpm range. so instead of a peak hp that is ~20hp higher, you will more likely have a solid 10-12 through the whole rpm range. that said, forego the IM and TB, since thats not going to give you much, if any power on your setup. instead, get a stage1 cam or a stage 2 with upgraded valvesprings and retainers. it will give you way more power than the IM and TB, and then if you decide to get those later on, you might actually gain a little power from them, since the cam will flow enough to where you might need them. and while youre getting your valvetrain put in, have the head milled about 20 thousanths, and pick up an adjustable cam gear. with a stage 1 and 20-30 thousanths mill, with a cam gear (milling the head makes the cam timing off) instead of the IM and TB, you might actually see 15-20 more hp overall.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

That sounds really good but there are a few reasons that I can't do that.
[ul][*]The only experience I have with removing more than the valve cover would be watching a DVD I got off of ebay that shows a complete tear down and rebuild of a d series engine. So I don't think that I want to go taking my valve train off by myself with no help.[*]I don't know how to set my timing, I looked at the site's DIY and I just don't understand wtf he is doing with the dizzy or how to use a timing light.[*]Taking the timing belt off looks like a total bitch to do while the engine is in the car.[*]I thought that you shouldn't get an adjustable cam gear unless you could dyno your car?[*]Lastly, my dad would be pissed if he sees my valve train and cam shaft outside of the engine where it belongs. lol[/ul]
Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

Tony, You'll probably see the most gain with the Im/TB if you do get the cam. I'm pretty sure you have an EX, and if you're not going cam route then you probably wont need an upgraded IM/TB because of how good the Y8 one is.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

Ya ^^ he is right the IM is not worth the money. If you want more power for races and stuff just replace your ebay header with a better one, get that exhaust, and get the ZEX kit. Your engine should have no trouble handling 50 shot. Just make sure you stay at 50 because more than that is asking for trouble. Use it correctly and you will have a great time with nitrous. But if you really want some power just get a turbo kit. With the money you spend on cams, valvetrain stuff, IM, etc., you could have started a pretty nice turbo kit that will give you more power than all that stuff combined. Its really the best way to go for a D16.

Should I get a one or two piece header?
Its really up to you. I am pretty sure the only difference is weight and I wouldnt worry about it that. Just go with the cheapest. And if you want more top end power go with a 4-1 header (correct me if im wrong on that one). But its your car do what you can and be sure to share your results with us!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0403...old/index.html
Though u might be intersted in reading that.