Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake manifold?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
HCF Member
Default intake manifold?

i just have a few intake manifold questions, im looking at getting an aftermarket one for my d16y8 and was curious if i should buy the name brand either skunk2 or the edelbrock performer x. and also can u take a b series manifold and put it on a d, if so how would the b18 series stock manifolds compare to the above 2 intakes?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 AM

I doubt you can put a b series intake mani. on a d16y8. Just as you cannot use a b series exhaust mani (header) on a d series.

I have a Skunk2 Pro IM. Never really had any problems with it. However, if you are not using some type of Forced induction (turbo, supercharger etc), then an IM is basically for show. Unless you have some wild NA application which needs it. I have one because I am planning on turboing by the end of the summer. Here's a pic of mine painted semi gloss black. lol thinking back now, the IM was purchased brand new... it was one of the most expensive pieces under the hood!

Name:  DSC00779.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  90.9 KB

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

im pretty sure a new intake manifold would increase power somewhat, considering they are designed to increase airflow.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Only D-series intake and exhaust manifolds fit on D-series engines.

The Edelbrock Performer X is better than the Skunk2. I have heard lots of people mention having to drill holes for sensors or sensors not fitting properly in the Skunk2 manifold. Plus, Edelbrock specializes in manifolds.

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
if you are not using some type of Forced induction (turbo, supercharger etc), then an IM is basically for show.
Not true. You are increasing the size of the runners and the efficiency of the manifold's bends by using a better intake manifold, and therefore increasing air flow.
More airflow = more power. (as long as you have the fuel to back it up. In this case, you do, because an intake manifold doesn't increase airflow enough to require bigger injectors or anything.)

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-15-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM

I think of an intake (or mani....w/e) as a hose, when it is skinny (or "normal" size), water will shoot right through with a certain amount of velocity. Now, take that same amount of water and push is through a hose twice as big.... it'll almost just trickle out with no force behind it.

Now if you are turbo'd/supercharged, with a stock IM, you're pushing too much air through such a small passage, thus the reason to upgrade your IM.

It may help a stock motor, but I would estimate about 2-3 hp. I doubt it'll hurt anything, but a stock motor with basic bolt-ons is fine with the OEM IM. Again, you could just want it for under-the-hood bling.

^just read trust's post above.... I did not have one issue with my Skunk2 IM. Just had to extend a few vacuum hoses and it was fine.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 05-15-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

ive read about people gaining 10+ whp w/ an edelbrock performer x manifold, is this true?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
^just read trust's post above.... I did not have one issue with my Skunk2 IM. Just had to extend a few vacuum hoses and it was fine.
You are one of the lucky ones.

Originally Posted by Engelhonda37
ive read about people gaining 10+ whp w/ an edelbrock performer x manifold, is this true?
it's possible. if you've already done intake/header/exhaust, getting a better intake manifold will make all of those other mods work better too. they all work in conjunction.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

ok cause i have a k&n cai, megan 4-2-1 headers, and a magnaflow catback exhaust

Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

I love the look of aftermarket IM's... but seriously, you're not gaining 10 hp from it... it will help.. no one should argue w/ that... runners are smoother and air will flow easier... but these are MINOR increases... but technically you'll gain a FEW hp, maybe gain a mpg... and save a few pounds over your stock IM......

just don't drop in a cool looking skunk IM and decide to talk trash to the mustang GT's at intersections...

Old 05-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcherr642z
you're not gaining 10 hp from it...
yea, he won't.

When I said it's "possible" I was referring to that he has heard of people gaining that much from it. Those people he's talking about could have fully built and/or turbocharged engines, making a 10WHP gain from an intake manifold entirely possible. But in most cases, no, you won't see 10WHP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intake manifold?