Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake manifold swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default Intake manifold swap?

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but I just want to make sure... I'm looking into a '96 DX hatch, and I hate the whole vertical throttle body thing it has going on. Meanwhile, my friend has a D16Y8 intake mani and throttle body sitting in his garage... would I be able to swap the intake manifold in without much problem? Would an aftermarket manifold for a D16y8 bolt up to the y7 (assuming I had a y8 throttle body)?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Intake manifold swap?

i dont think so because in this site, it is saying that to do a mini me swap from a y7 to y8, you need a y8 throttle body. I am not really sure.

Click Me

Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

yes it will bolt up, and its highly recommended

Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

all righty... I'll talk to my friend about it if/when I get the '96. Actually, I think he has a whole y8 head. If he does, I'm thinking mini-me

Old 12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

^ go for it......but dont you have a boost project going, and aren't you selling your Civic?? haha i'm confused man

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

^ He is looking at a '96 DX hatch and if he gets it then he wants to swap the intake manifold on it. I think he also said that he is saving his turbo project for his next car.

Comon' Flip, keep up man. lol j/p

Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

lol, yeah Mobsta's got it right...

I don't feel like swapping the transmission in my '94 (too many little misc. parts that I just flat-out don't want to try to find), so I figure I'll just buy an EK (since I like them better than EGs anyway) hatch (because slammed, lip-kitted hatches are pure sex) that's already a 5-speed. Unfortunately, there's no ex hatch, so I won't get vtec ([sm=boohoo.gif])... So I'll probably do a mini-me swap as well as an intake mani swap. And yeah, I'm saving the turbo project for the next civic.. besides, boosted hatches will always be cooler than boosted coupes lol

I'm just glad I have a bunch of parts sitting around that I'll eventually be able to throw on the EK (resonator, turbo, cross-drilled & slotted rotors (I'll need to do a rear disc swap first though), strut brace, ground controls, wheels, etc.)... at least I don't feel so bad about wasting money on the parts that can transfer... anybody what to buy a guage bezel, body kit, Mugen style front lip, projector headlights etc.? lol... I think I'll have to start up a for sale thread soon.... get some of that money back

Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
HCF Member

^ i think about that, that maybe i should save for a Del Sol or other EK hatch or coupe thats a manual D-Series with maybe an engine thats better in shape, but i'll try and boost this car and then transfer the kit over to my next Civic, whcih will have a D series. Just keep the header and whatnot and be able to swap back to N/A

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

Here's what marty told me when i asked him for help. Its very useful.

All D series intake manifolds are bolt on affairs, so any d series manifold will directly bolt on but the reason I allways suggest a 99/00 IM from a automatic for the people with Y7's is because there is no need to change any wiring, sensors, or anything like that when you use it. When you use a 92-98 Z6/Y8 manifold(auto or manual) or a 99/00 manual Y8 manifold you have to swap from a 3 wire intake air control valve(which is on the 96-00 Y7's) to a 2 wire intake air control valve therefore you have to locate and eliminate 1 of thewires. If you use a 99/00 automatic Y8 manifold all the sensors and wiring are the same so you pretty much unhook your manifold, take it off, replace it with the new one, plug everything back in, and go.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ thanks, bro... that'll help a lot. I guess I probably won't be buying the mani from my friend then

Quick Reply: Intake manifold swap?