Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

keeping the intake cold with heat wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
HCF Member
Default keeping the intake cold with heat wrap?

i wouldent consider my intake to much of a cheepy, its a vibrant short ram and im going to buy the extentions (from vibrant also) to make it a cold air...i notice my tube gets pretty hot from engine heat , i have never taking the filter off and put my had inside to see if its really hot on the inside too, but i was thinking about wraping the intake with some sort of heatwrap to try and keep the heat away, i saw some wrap stuff at some stores for exhusts and stuff....what does everyone think ??comments? suggestions?

Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Default RE: keeping the intake cold with heat wrap?

Header wrap? It keeps the heat out of your engine bay (better for your engine and intake), but at the same time, it keeps the heat inside your header (and that's harder on your header, meaning it won't last as long). If you do wrap your header, you should invest in a high quality header so that it'll last longer.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

no not my header..my intake, this way the air passing through it will stay cold as possible without the tube getting hot and warming the air up

Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

I guess in theory it would work but do you think you would get any significant gains off of it?

Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic
no not my header..my intake, this way the air passing through it will stay cold as possible without the tube getting hot and warming the air up
Oh, okay. Yeh, I guess that would help, but as Ray said, would it be worth it? Add up the cost of the wrap, the work to wrap it, and the sh1tty looks of the intake when wrapped versus the small amount of HP gain.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM

^^ye i agree for the amount of money , work and how it will look, performance wise its not worth it. Which is why i decided on a no name brand intake as long as I have a good filter. Performance wise its not worth the extra cash and it will look just as good minus the logo.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

ya i guess you guys are right, it would look pretty crappy instead of a nice shiny intake and not much performance..i just thought it would be better for the motor,but 1 degree colder dosent do much..well that made my desicion

Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

1 degree wont make much difference, but i would think that could buy you more than that. i would think 10 degrees wouldnt be out of the question, and that should translate into roughly a 1% gain. not bad for 10-15 bucks and an hour. its just the look that might make it not worth it.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Actually that header wrap is only as expensive as it is becasue it has to withstand the ridiculous temps of the header, but the intake surface temp is nowhere near that. You could just get some insulating tape or basically anything that will keep radiant heat off of it. Of course you need to get or fab a heat shield for the filter too.

Cooler intake charges aren't just more Hp, they are also better for your motor, and like Sac said- every 10*F cooler the charge = ~ 1% more Hp.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

you guys are right...well i wasent thinking about the header wrap,that stuff is expensive, its just some heatwrap stuff i saw crusing the canadian tire automotive section, ill have to think about it,try to make it look good still, and the stuff was only like $12 for a piece so its not expensive to try, i got to take my intake out for the winter so ill have lots of time to play around with it

Quick Reply: keeping the intake cold with heat wrap?