Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

A little confused about this header thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 PM
HCF Member
Default A little confused about this header thing

Ok im planning to get a Megan Racing header off ebay, this one specifically:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...QQcmdZViewItem

But this is just 1 peice of it right? Im still going to need a down pipe? Also can someone lead me to a diagram to show me what other parts i would need to finish replacing my entire exhaust system after the header/downpipes?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Default RE: A little confused about this header thing

to answer your question, you will need a downpipe. If you are running a stock set-up, you may lose horsepower if you install that header. Here is my story (i dont' want you to waste your money). I had a full catback (2.5" piping) w/ a Chikara 4-2-1 header. I lost a lot of power, because my exhaust system was wanting to suck in more air than what my motor was putting out. What you want is a high velocity of exhaust coming out. If you widen the pipes, you have drastically slowed the velocity down. I knew I was going to install the turbo kit in my Civic eventually, so I didn't care about that. Also too, I found out my header didn't work w/ my turbo kit. There is a new header that comes w/ the turbo kit. I hope this helps. If you do this, however, your car will sound cool as hell...very loud.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM

I forgot to answer your other questions...

You may want to go w/ 2.5" piping. You can go less, and some people prefer a smaller diameter. I'm now running 2.5" piping. You may also want to look at purchasing a high-flow cat. I hope this helps. Also too, where are u from?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

Hmm it seems like alot of people buy new headers and exhaust for their engines right after getting their intakes. If this isnt the best solution to upgrading your stock engine then what is? Im from new jersey.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Cat Fuсker

It's the basics which most people do...and stop there. If you know that you won't turbo the car...than you do I/H/E and leave it at that for now....there are tons on N/A upgrades that can be done...as far as power...I don't know about your car, but when I put a 2.5" exhaust on my old civic...there was a niiice gain...but I never put the header on it because I planned on turboing it later...

Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

I drive an automatic 2001 honda civic ex coupe, the base hp for the engine is 127hp.. according to the engine code thread...

B16B 1.6 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1595 185hp@8200rpm 118tq@7500 98-01 Civic Type-R

im trying to get the most out of my engine, i doubt i will be putting a turbo on it

Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Cat Fuсker

you don't have the b16b just to clear things up. that for a type r.

If you don't plan on turboing than a 4-2-1 header, exhaust and CAI will do you good.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 PM

You have to keep in mind that i have a 4 cylinder 1.5...i'm sure you have a bigger motor than that. With that in mind, it's doubtful you will have a loss

Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Cat Fuсker

1.5 or 1.6 no damn difference...I like the 1.5's better for some strange reason

Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolhoznik

you don't have the b16b just to clear things up. that for a type r.

If you don't plan on turboing than a 4-2-1 header, exhaust and CAI will do you good.

These are the specs from some civic website, what is my engine code?
EX Coupe
Standard Engine 1.7L 127 hp I4
Horsepower 127 @ 6300 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 114 @ 4800 RPM

Quick Reply: A little confused about this header thing