Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Looking into some headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Default Looking into some headers

This is actually my first post on the board and to start it off, the name is Tim I have a Civic DX 4dr.
Right now I just have a AEM intake ran down and out under my front bumper to produce a true cold air effect, plugs and wires and just a Ractive exhaust canister. Everything else is stock at the moment but Im looking to get some quick HP/Acceleration/Speed without speeding to much cash before I go getting into the body and paint job. Ive did some reading on here and basically I haven't decided on what headers I want. Im looking for something that will hold up real and produce decent power without going over board on spending. I seen good things about DC and Megan, Ive also seen Pace Setter and they seem to be pretty cheap but how well do they hold up and perform? Maybe you guys can get me on the right track of what I should get and what I should know about the headers and if you can really notice a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Looking into some headers

first, its single, as in header, and DC and Megan are both reputable brands. If you live in Cali and need a CARB approved header, DC is wher eits at. Anywhere, Megan are the recommended brand.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 PM

**Header** sorry. Where do you recommend me checking for the header. Im un-aware of the sites that have the best prices and what not. I am not from Cali so it doesn't have to be a DC header. I will look into a Megan header though. What do I need to know about the thing with having to get a header for a EX and changing everything over? How does that all work and other than the header, what else would I need to make it work? I remember seeing something about the o2 sensor?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

in a DX, the catalytic converter is combined with the exhaust manifold/header. Get an EX header, then get a cat and have it welded into your exhaust sytem somewhere (since getting a header removes the cat), or get an EX header, cat, and then EX catback. That will be the best, the header will bolt ot hte block, the cat ot hte header, then teh catback to the cat.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 AM

i went with DC sport race header and skunk2 catback. no cat. sounds good, runs better.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

i've got a sh*tty ebay high flow cat and it's a bit raspier than i would like. I wish i woulda gone Magnaflow for sure

Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM

The stock cats are probably pretty junky and its better to go with a aftermarket cat right? Any idea on how much a cat runs? Ive never had to invest in one.

So basically Im getting a Megan header for an EX, I will need to get a high flow cat, and I can either weld my DX mid pipe up or buy a EX mid pipe and bolt it up. Am I on the right track now? Im probably going to get my parts from Andysautosport.com cause I found the header on there for 189.00 and I need to see about a cat and mid pipe now.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

a random technology cat. converter can range between $200-$400 depending on the model. I have no idea about your year, but the 07 civic si's cat converter costs $389

Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Megan makes a high flow cat that will work perfect with the header I plan to use for around $60.00 I think I am going to go that route if it will have good performance! I can wait to get it mounted up to see if I made the right choice or not and see if it actually helps out power wise. I guess we'll see when I get it mounted up!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

I recently bought a Megan header for my 98 EX for about $170 from amazon.com. That was the best deal I could find and that even includes shipping from CA to VA. I think the header actually came from horsepowerfreaks.com but it was listed on amazon .com.

Quick Reply: Looking into some headers