Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

LX exhaust Q...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Default LX exhaust Q...

Okay, I have a '97 LX Automatic. IMO, one of the least desirable EK's. But back to the point, I'm working with what I got. It was stock until about a month ago, when I got 17x7 Enkei RS-6's wrapped in 205/40/17 Yokohama ES100's. In a week or two, I'm buying some Tein S-Tech springs to drop it down on those wheels a decent amount. My next move will follow the usual trend, with I/H/E. I'm planning on just getting an AEM SRI, so that's taken care of. But then comes the dreaded part of an LX owner. The retarded idea of mounting the cat in the exhaust manifold.

So what are ALL of my options??

After a LOT of researching in the past couple of weeks, pretty much all I've come across is doing a hybrid EX exhaust. For now, I'd really only like to do a cat-back, so I'd have to wait longer to save up to get an EX header and exhaust. Is there ANY way I can keep my LX manifold for now and bolt up a cat-back? I was looking into a GReddy EVO2, but it's a little spendy. I read around HCF that Megan makes some pretty good products, so I checked out the Drift-Spec series cat-back and it sounds like a good system, with a way lower pricetag than the GReddy. NOW, it SAYS that it bolts right up to all '92-'00 2/4 door Civics EXCEPT the Si. So from this information, I'n implying that it is saying it will fit my LX. Right? If this is indeed true, I'm sold on that system. But I'm very skeptical, since no other company that I've seen makes a cat-back that directly fits the LX.

So clue me in. What are my exhaust options on an LX? Will the Megan Drift-Spec cat-back bolt on? How does the sound of the Megan compare to that of the GReddy EVO2?

Thank you very much to anybody that responds. This has been a difficult search. I just wanna' have some more customizing fun with my little four-banger.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Default RE: LX exhaust Q...

i have an lx too. yeah, they sort of suck for power but we work with what we have...
you can put a catback on it easily with the stock manifold. i got a magnaflow catback, they're cheap, good quality, and reliable. good installation too, hooks right up. what i did for the headers and cat was i got some cheap headers for an ex off of ebay and got a pacesetter cat. the pacesetter is nice because it's high flow and still does and good emissions job - it also won't make your check engine light go off either like other "high flow" cats. i got the magnaflow and pacesetter off of partsandaccessories.com and and got the headers off of ebay.
Magnaflow system

Pacesetter cat

i don't know, works well for me. got a lot of power out of the deal. ask around some more though.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:16 AM
HCF Member

i have an LX and many of the EX thingys fit...just read up on it and many people will help you here too! but please READ UP ON IT FIRST.....

Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

a LOT of D series parts are interchangeable. if you are going to go the IHE route then get an EX header and exhaust. the only thing that makes EX and LX exhausts different is cat placement, and can be overcome simply by using both an EX header and exhaust.

for the price of a good IHE setup you could be boosting.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Please give me an example of what fits......and I'm pretty sure I mentioned numerous times in my first post that I did just about as much researching as you possibly could on this subject, so if you have nothing helpful to say, keep it to yourself...

Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Yes, thank you for reitterating exactly what I said....I KNOW that I can get an EX header and exhaust and have no problem, but I don't exactly have the money to do it all at once. I was asking if there is any easier way. I'm not going to bother boosting on a stock exhaust. And I don't have the money or resources to have a reliable boosted D. I'm leaning more towards the swap route, just for the reliability. But that wouldn't be soon anyways.