Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow OR Apexi? (And a header ? too)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Magnaflow OR Apexi? (And a header ? too)

Alright well next week I'm going to buy a cat-back, but I can't decide what I am going to do. Nobody I know has a Civic with good exhaust, so I can't really base it off what I hear. Mainly I've been cruisin youtube and forums. My 2 exhausts I'm thinking about is an Apexi WS2 and Magnaflow 15646: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...=p4506.c0.m245. Now I know the Apexi is quiet, that's a major plus, but it seems "too quiet" if you were to really press the gas. If I am wrong please correct me but from the videos I've seen it seems quiet the whole time. The Magnaflow videos of people with it have varied in sound. I saw one vid of it on an Si and it sounded amazing, nice tone and not too loud when they were gunning it, and quiet enough for normal driving. And I'll go to another Magnaflow video and it'll be loud and sound pretty sh*tty. If anyone has an input to which way I should go it would be helpful. It's about a $100 difference between the Apexi and and Magnaflow and as long as the Magnaflow isn't too loud I might go there.

One more thing, I want to get a header in the next month or so too. Seeing as Megan Racing header is noticeably cheaper yet still considered a decent brand, am I better okay getting those rather than DC? I just don't want to go so cheap that I will have problems with fitment or performance. DC are a lot of money but is it really worth the $200 more? And I would want to get 4-1 right? I know it is high end power at 4-1 and usually I read 4-1 with a stick car so that's what I was looking at getting.

Thanks for reading this essay LOL. Any help is appreciated and any opinions are great.

-Scott

Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

dont get that magnaflow it will sound like a fart can
get the oval styl magnaflow and a resonator and you will be happy
at least i am with that setup

Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

I'm a big fan of both exhausts, but I like the magnaflow better. Also dont waster your money on a header, they dont add any noticeable hp.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by croninc
Also dont waster your money on a header, they dont add any noticeable hp.
but it will clean up your engine bay just like an intake
no gains but looks nice

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by hamorhead
but it will clean up your engine bay just like an intake
no gains but looks nice
yeah tru, i mean if your just going for looks you might as well take your change on a $50 ebay header.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

my ebay header didnt line up and hit my oil pan
ill take the megan next time

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

Hmm okay, I'll probably end up getting Megan then instead of paying double for DC.

Does the Apexi get loud at high rpms? When I say loud I don't mean ear bleeding loud, just loud enough to be noticed.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

mine does
do you have any custom exhaust shops in the area?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Well I'm in Milwaukee so I'm sure there are seeing how populated it is around here (which is not necesarily a good thing), I've just never looked. A family friend of ours has an auto shop that could do anything for me.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

get a magnaflow muffler (oval type not canister type) and a resonator and have a custom 2.25" piping catback made
i did and it was way cheaper ($250)

Quick Reply: Magnaflow OR Apexi? (And a header ? too)