Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow muffler/ resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Default Magnaflow muffler/ resonator question

Had purchased a magnaflow muffler. Im wondering how can I tell if it has a resonator already in place, not sure what they are suppose to look like. Just got the muffler installed and some custom pipes 2.25" from cat. It sounds good, not raspy, deep tone, but I'm concerned the noise will get annoying after a while, think I might want it to be a little quieter. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Magnaflow muffler/ resonator question

a resonator is like another muffler welded somewhere in the middle of your piping. To say "a muffler has a resonator" just doesn't really make much sense. See the bulge in middle of the top pipe?:

Thats the resonator. If you have straight pipes between your cat and your muffler, then no, you don't have a resonator. You can pick up a nice Magnaflow res from eBay for like $60-$70 though. Thats what i have and am happy with it. Longer the better, because the longer the quieter/smoother the tone will be.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks for that info had a totally different idea of what the resonater looked like and where it goes. I thought it was something that went in the muffler. So if I want one it has to be welded on to the pipes that they did. can it be anywhere beteween the muffler and cat?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Oh, i know what I saw before some mufflers I saw had came with some sort of removable silencer. Do they make silencers that can fit any kind of muffler, havent seen any for a magnaflow. Do they attempt to do the same thing as a resonater?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 AM

In my experience a silencer will quiet thingsmore than a resonator, but it will restrict the flow more and while it sounds ok for cruising, when I floored it things got REAL ricey.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

If you can find a silencer, you'll have to drill a hole in the tip off the mufler so that the mounting bolt can hold the silence in plcae. I just don't think its physically possible to do the same thing with the resonator since you'd hvae to put the silencer alllllllll the way down the exhaust piping. Both the muffler and the resonator will quiet down the exhaust on their own though, so you should be good. And a silencer restricts the exhaust flow as well like Doze said, i'd skip it if i were you. A high quality muffler shouldn't need it anyway.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Default Loud exhaust

ok. but what if ur exhaust sounded fine until you added a different header/exhaust manifold & downpipe combo, then it got all loud/ricey? I did have on all stock/OE exhaust parts Except for a PaceSetter Monza CatBack Exhaust System (2-1/4" Dia. & 4" tip). It sounded fine but then i replaced the stock/OE exhaust manifold/header & downpipe with a DNA Motoring Ceramic Header (4-2-1) (Outlet Dia. 2", Tubing Dia. 1-1/2", & Flange Thickness 0.4"). It was pretty cheap on ebay & i think i made a mistake in buying it..? It has those bungholes for your O2 sensor.
Also the threading of my O2 sensor is damaged and did not screw into the header properly and i noticed some leakage/smoke around it, but the check engine light is not coming on so i guess it is ok? I put some gasket sealer around the sides of the o2 sensor for the hell of it. & now i dont see the smoke/leakage. Why is my exhaust so loud? How do i/should i silence it?