Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Moving to Phoenix, what's a good exhaust that will pass emissions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Moving to Phoenix, what's a good exhaust that will pass emissions??

I am moving to Phoenix from Michigan at the end of the summer. I already have a catback and test pipe but it is loud as hell and already has corrosion (thanks Michigan). Plus seeing as my muffler is already black on the inside, I am sure I will horribly fail the emissions test. I am looking at APEXi Ws2 catbacks and think that might be the sound I am after. Is there a good cat that removes 80-90 percent of emissions (OBDII compliant)? If you know of such a cat that will just bolt on that'd be great. Also; if there is a better catback than the Ws2 that will be quiet and still give good horespower gains that'd be great! Also, is there anyone from AZ or any other state that tests who can tell me what this test entails? Just curious as to what I have to get rid of or change. I don't want my car impounded. I'm shopping for O2 sensors tomorrow! Thanks for reading.

Oh, it's a 93 civic ex
4-1 ceramic header
D16Z6, 2 door.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Moving to Phoenix, what's a good exhaust that will pass emissions??

yeah go with the WS2 it's good, that or an RS*R Ex-Mag are the two, i would go with, i have the WS2 right now at the moment.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Sweet... The WS2 definitely stuck out. I should have just installed a nice, clean exhaust with a clean cat to begin with. Definitely still looking for a bolt on cat that will keep the catback clean. I found an OBDII compliant direct bolt-on at Advanced Auto that I will have to go with if no one knows of a better option.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Why do you want an OBDII cat if your car is OBD1

Here this cat is a bolt on from Magnaflow...it's for your car
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...812+4294924761

Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

That cat will be perfect. I wanted OEM specifications to pass the emissions test. OBDII requires a 90% blocking of emissions so I was looking for something that was OBDII spec... I know my car is OBDI. Thanks for the find, I bought it! I will probably order my APEXi WS2 this weekend.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

^^^^^^^ Glad to help you out...[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 PM

I recently moved from AZ up to Seattle. Lived there for 8 years. The emissions testing is pretty steep, but not too bad. Ive got a Greddy Evo 2 exhaust system and havent had any problems. If you're looking for a high flow cat, you may run into some minor issues. I know with the cheaper brand cats, they have a tendancy to let quit a bit of hydro carbons through, which ultimately sets off alarms during testing. I would just keep the vehicle as stock as possible and bolt the stuff on afterwards.

The testing includes a full inspection under the hood, cat inspection, fuel cap pressure test, and hydro carbon testing. Good luck!

Oh btw, which part of the state are you looking to move to? I lived in Chandler (Maricopa county). I know Tuscon (Pima county) is a bit more lenient when it comes to testing. Just and FYI. Also, dont worry about them impounding your car. If you fail just fix whats needs to be fixed and take it back. You can do it as many times as you want, as long as you have the money for it. I believe its $20 each time.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

I am moving to Scottsdale. I should be fine I think... I am nice and clean under the hood and I put in my O2 sensors today. Do you think with an OEM spec Cat and a WS2 I will pass? I think the WS2 is quiet enough and the Cat will get rid of the bad stuff. If I bolt it on new right before the test... that's what I'm thinking anyway. I wish they posted the requirements and what they are looking for etc. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

As what I know you can have any kind of exhaust and it will pass emission.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM

As what I know you can have any kind of exhaust and it will pass emission.
Unfortunately this is not entirely correct. Maricopa county (not sure about the others) are implementing more severe regulations when it comes to exhaust. Now Im not sure what instrument or tool they use to measure the dB, or noise volume, but I do know they are becoming more strict with it. However, I can pretty much garuntee a flawless test if you are using an OEM catalytic converter with an Apexi exhaust. Like I said, with the Greddy setup, I had no problems.

Please give us an update as to how the test went. You should be fine.

Quick Reply: Moving to Phoenix, what's a good exhaust that will pass emissions??