Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

muffler for automatic cars

Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
HCF Member
Default muffler for automatic cars

i drive an automatic, can i still weld on a magna flow - I'm looking for something that is quiet with low RPMs. and will only noise up if I pound on the gas.
if so can i go back to stock in the future if I ever sell my car?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: muffler for automatic cars

hahahahahahaha sorry but yes you can still swap the mufler on a auto.. the differnce bettween standards and autos is hte tranny.. and if you wanna put it back to stock keep your stock muflfle layin around break out the old makita angle grinder and hack the magnaflow off and weld up your stock one when the time comes

Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

I've got a magnaflow on my auto 97 LX and it sounds pretty good, but it is a tad loud because i don't have a cat or a resonator, but it is nice and mellow and low rpm's and than gets loud when the rpm's climb towards the red area on the tach.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:32 PM

you can put it on it. if you need to take it off you could always cut and weld back on the stock muffler. you could also instead of welding on the new one, clamp on the new one. then you could weld back on the other one using an adapter.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya if you think youll go back stock... then i would find out WHERE the new muffler will go and sit if you use that stock pipe and then cut it thier... and use a STRAP CLAMP!!!!!!!! strap clamps are more $$ BUT seal great!!!! and anyone can instal a exaust with them and no welding needed!

im not sure actualy WHAT they are called BUT they are like 4-5inches wide strap that wrap around the pipe and bolt together tight i buy them at napa autoparts...... ya got to ask for them... they should know what ya mean... C clamps suck cause they just CRUSH the pipes together...

Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM
HCF Member

well i think im just gonna go with the welding route so its cheaper... and then if i ever go back I'll just weld the stock one back. Hopefully all that cutting and welding won't be an issue.

I'm looking for something to be loud in RPMs above 3ish to 4 or 5. I've never pounced on my pedal hard enough for it to go in the red zone...

Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well are you gonna weld it or have a exaust shop weld it up?

if a exaust shop.... just have them weld up a new pipe for it so it bolts right infront of the axle..... that way when you want to go back stock just unbolt and bolt in the factory muffler back inplace.... would be easier and cleaner........

i dont think it would cost much more $$ to have that pipe and flange...... just an idea...

Old 10-28-2007, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

okay thanks... i will have a shop do it of course. I will consider it further when the time comes.
I hope a common muffler shop can do welding... thankS

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

what is the clamped called? and why dont more people use it instead of welding??
any chance of it coming apart if hits the ground??

Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

im not positive what the clamp is called.... but you should be able to ask and they SHOULD know what your talking about! its a wide strap that bolts along with the pipe and not some ragedy C bolt clamp...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: muffler for automatic cars