Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My custom air intake on my EM2

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member
Default My custom air intake on my EM2

Hey guys thought about putting up some pics of my (mostly) custom made air intake. I find that it looks nice and also the sound is different from when the intake was shorter. I find it nice that around when the VTEC is engaged, the sound gets deeper and louder (which is normal lol but still the sound is nice).

[IMG]local://upfiles/28295/253BB8EE4AB444BE95480DD0C833C9F6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28295/2E2D2A4800954FEDB742749E8E9C778F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: My custom air intake on my EM2

how is it custom? seems like most any other intake...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

By custom do you mean you just took a pipe from one intake (possibly ebay)and a random filter (again ebay) and put them together?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

would a aem intake filter and an ebay pipe work the same as buying the whole aem intake?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

Not really.
AEM claims (and I believe it) that they create/design their intakes specifiacally for the year, make, and model that they say.
In order to get the 'gains' that AEM claims you can receive you need their piping and filter.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: macbeth18288

Not really.
AEM claims (and I believe it) that they create/design their intakes specifiacally for the year, make, and model that they say.
In order to get the 'gains' that AEM claims you can receive you need their piping and filter.
you're paying for a name.....other than the V2, what can make the AEM's pipe different from an ebay? Filter is understandable, especially if you compared AEM vs. eBay, but a pipe is a pipe ya kno? My eBay intake didn't come with a mount for it to be attach to the strut bolt, which makes the intake sag dangerously close to some hot engine components, and thats a big advtange of the AEM IMO

Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

Not really.
you're paying for a name.....other than the V2, what can make the AEM's pipe different from an ebay? Filter is understandable, especially if you compared AEM vs. eBay, but a pipe is a pipe ya kno? My eBay intake didn't come with a mount for it to be attach to the strut bolt, which makes the intake sag dangerously close to some hot engine components, and thats a big advtange of the AEM IMO
Well, for starters quality of welding.
Correct hole size for o2 sensor, correct fitting, to just name a few differences.
When I say welding, i mean not only quality as in it doesn't just go and break in half, but to make sure that the internal portion of the piping is smooth creating no restriction whatsoever.
And as you said most don't come with mounts for the piping.
No mounts also puts the weight-strain on the throttle body clamping.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

Not really.
Well, for starters quality of welding.
Correct hole size for o2 sensor, correct fitting, to just name a few differences.
When I say welding, i mean not only quality as in it doesn't just go and break in half, but to make sure that the internal portion of the piping is smooth creating no restriction whatsoever.
And as you said most don't come with mounts for the piping.
No mounts also puts the weight-strain on the throttle body clamping.

IAN sensor, not o2. And actually the grommet for it fit perfectly into the eBay intake, but i could see the nipple that the house connects too having questionable welds, but its not like it's under stress or anything. I'm not here to argue though, i'm just sayin you're not gonna see much a difference between an eBay pipe w/ AEM filter vs. an AEM intake w/ AEM filter (obviously). The strut mount is a big thing though, and actually that might affect some gains because of the hotter air with the filter being closer to the block. I've got a heatshield around my filter though and it works out super good though.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Yeah, the mount on the AEM pipe is great. When I had an eBay intake, I used to worry about it falling off or something since the only thing holding it on was the clamp on the throttle body.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

I actually bought that intake as a CAI but a coupler was damaged and a big part of the intake fell under the car and my civic being lowered i damaged the filter badly and the tubing was bent a few places so i had to arrange it another way. I took the piece that fell and measured for an alternative way to make it as close to a CAI as possible with what i had. So i cut the damaged tubing so i could keep the part that wasn't damaged out of it. Also the filter was 3" and my tubing is smaller to i had to cut a piece of rubber for an old intake from my previous car (Ford Probe GT) and fit it so that the filter fits on top of the tubing. I bought the filter in a shop. I was having a hard time finding one without going eBay but when i went to that place for the first time, ordering some wheels, i went upstairs (two story shop)and saw some nice aftermarket parts and saw Mushroom style filters and took one.

Also i do not know if any of you guys noticed, but the part i'm supposed to bolt it so it stays stable broke off last night before i took the pictures. So i have to buy a new air intake (or probably just tubing will do but i could have an extra filter also) but as for now that'll do for a while.

AS for the stuff about eBay or AEM, Well i do not know the difference myself but that intake's o2 sensor fits perfectly and except for the damaged coupler story, i actually never had any problems with fitment.

Quick Reply: My custom air intake on my EM2