Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need help, New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Default Need help, New to the forum

Hey guys, been browsing a few days, registered and decided to make my first post.

Im looking at getting a civic, its a 99 HX Coupe 5spd with 145,000 on it. Kind of high, but consumer reports rates it as almost perfect, and they rated my sisters accord almost perfect and thats what its been.

It has a set of summer rims and a few things, GSR wing, amber corner lenses etc.. and it looks half decent. I have yet to find out what engine it has, Im assuming 1.6 Vtec. I will check when I get it.

Im looking into exhausts' headers and intakes now. For intake ive decided on a long tube Ebay special, with a K&N Filter.

Headers-Cant find much, the HX seems to be the bottom of the line and I dont think DC makes them for the HX? Ive read about The EX and different cats and stuff, but There isnt a HX specific header is there?

Now, theres so many mufflers out there its not funny. I dont want something loud or "riced" but I do want a deeper tone, little power is nice to. The decent exhaust are so pricey, but I could go for a 25$ muffler to.

I like the sound of the-

Netami Twin Loop muffler- and Im assuming thats a muffler, no other pipes needed, just kinda pull the old muffler off and slip the new one on, I also like the fact that it doesnt look like a coffee can, its a nice 2-3" tip. Ive also heard a few other twin loop mufflers I like

Invidia N1/Apexi N1 But man are those full systems pricey, I spent 150 piping my 01 Sierra, and she sounds like a brute, and this things gonna sound like a fart for 500. Thats alot.

So, Do they make HX Headers, if not, what do I do?

If I go with headers, can I just throw on my Twin Loop style muffler?

Ive done some searching and reading the stickys at the top of the page, but I cant find a darn thing for the hx

Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TeamYardsale
Hey guys, been browsing a few days, registered and decided to make my first post.
Welcome to HCF
I hope you enjoy your stay, and stick around

Im looking at getting a civic, its a 99 HX Coupe 5spd with 145,000 on it. Kind of high, but consumer reports rates it as almost perfect, and they rated my sisters accord almost perfect and thats what its been.
Eh, not too high of mileage. If you maintain it and treat 'er right, she could last twice that. Main thing is make sure you change timing belt/tensioner/water pump every 105k miles, oil around every 3-5k miles, air filter as needed, spark plugs, brakes, tires, and whatever else comes up.

It has a set of summer rims and a few things, GSR wing, amber corner lenses etc.. and it looks half decent. I have yet to find out what engine it has, Im assuming 1.6 Vtec. I will check when I get it.
I didn't know you could put a GSR wing on a Civic...
anyway, the engine's a D16Y5, with VTEC-E. VTEC-E operates the same way as regular VTEC, but the cam's VTEC lobes are instead designed for fuel economy rather than power. For more info on how VTEC works, check out this link and watch this short video clip. Just remember that yours makes better fuel economy, not power as the video states. Same concept though.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=7777

Im looking into exhausts' headers and intakes now. For intake ive decided on a long tube Ebay special, with a K&N Filter.
Sounds good. Just make sure that you match your filter's inlet diameter to the diameter of the intake piping when you're shopping for the filter and intake.

Headers-Cant find much, the HX seems to be the bottom of the line and I dont think DC makes them for the HX? Ive read about The EX and different cats and stuff, but There isnt a HX specific header is there?

So, Do they make HX Headers, if not, what do I do?

If I go with headers, can I just throw on my Twin Loop style muffler?
First of all, to clarify, it's a header, not headers. Inline engines only have one header. V-engines have two headers.

Magnaflow makes a header for your vehicle, but it is like $500. However, it includes a high-flow catalytic converter. In all reality, this header/high-flow catalytic converter combo is just as expensive as buying both an EX DC Sports header and an EX Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter.
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...827/index.html

Your other option is to convert to a complete EX exhaust. That would include an EX header, an EX catalytic converter, and an EX exhaust. You would also need an O2 sensor extension wire harness (~$25) as this configuration would move your catalytic converter and secondary O2 sensor away from the stock location.

Note: when I say EX ______, what I mean is that the item (_____) is designed for an EX, not necessarily an OEM Honda part.

Now, theres so many mufflers out there its not funny. I dont want something loud or "riced" but I do want a deeper tone, little power is nice to. The decent exhaust are so pricey, but I could go for a 25$ muffler to.

I like the sound of the-

Netami Twin Loop muffler- and Im assuming thats a muffler, no other pipes needed, just kinda pull the old muffler off and slip the new one on, I also like the fact that it doesnt look like a coffee can, its a nice 2-3" tip. Ive also heard a few other twin loop mufflers I like

Invidia N1/Apexi N1 But man are those full systems pricey, I spent 150 piping my 01 Sierra, and she sounds like a brute, and this things gonna sound like a fart for 500. Thats alot.
A $25 muffler will sound worse than an eBay fart can. I highly advise against this. Also, the honeycomb in the muffler may deteriorate quicker than normal due to cheap construction.

I also like the sound of the twin loop mufflers. Most of them sound the same though. Most likely the difference you hear while watching video clips is due to different cameras, angles, cars, and different other aftermarket parts being installed simultaneously such as header or intake.

The N1 is really loud and even though you may like the sound of it now, you most likely will not like it later (a few months after installation). They hum very loud while cruising on the interstate and even start to drown out your stereo. They tend to attract cops more and be called "rice." Also, if you lower your car the muffler will most likely scrape due to its coffee-can-like shape and how bulky it is. In other words, the design of the muffler's shape is not space-efficient and instead of using the area above the muffler to put the muffler's mass, it hangs down low.

My recommendation is an Apex-i WS2. It is shaped like a normal muffler and is nice stainless steel with a polished finish. The tip is just under 4" in diameter, but that's really hard to believe until you take a tape measurer to it; it looks a lot smaller than it really is. The piping is coated with a rust-proof finish (most name brands are). It has an aggressive sound at high RPMs and under heavy acceleration, a little louder than stock during normal acceleration, and is silent as stock when maintaining a steady speed at a reasonable RPM. It may sound raspy on YouTube videos you have seen, but I assure you that combined with aftermarket intake and a header it will not sound raspy. A high-flow catalytic converter can also help improve tone (not drastically). Other similar exhausts with these same basic aspects include the GReddy SP2, and the RS*R Ex-mag (which can be a little pricey)(the "*" is actually a star)

Last edited by trustdestruction; 12-10-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
June 2010 ROTM

umm, what he said! Welcome to the forum btw!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Thanks Del Sol!

I LOVE The sound of that Apexi, its exactly what I want. But its 193 Just for the muffler, I guess thats not to to bad. If I do the magnaflow headers/cat I can run the rest stock piping then this muffler correct?

If I did the ex conversion, could I just buy what you said, like I was buying an exhaust for an EX, then install?

You said I have the Vtec-E For fuel economy, If im getting above 18mpg (my sierra on an AWESOME day) Ill be happy. But can I swap out cams to the normal Vtec grind or is there an aftermarket place that makes higher grinds for the civic?

Theres more, but I gotta run to work.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM

If I do the magnaflow headers/cat I can run the rest stock piping then this muffler correct?
Yes. It may not sound as good as the ones you've heard because of the small diameter piping, but it shouldn't sound much different. I recommend getting the entire thing. You can find it cheaper on eBay.

If I did the ex conversion, could I just buy what you said, like I was buying an exhaust for an EX, then install?
Yep, it's a direct bolt on with no modifications needed (except for having to use the O2 sensor extension wire).

But can I swap out cams to the normal Vtec grind?
I'm not sure if you can swap out the cams for regular VTEC since it's VTEC-E. I was told "no" but was not given a reason why. I still believe that you probably can. If you can, you'll need the regular VTEC cam (for D16Y8), and a D16Y8 ECU.

or is there an aftermarket place that makes higher grinds for the civic?
I'm also not sure about that because of the special type of VTEC your car has. I believe that there probably are.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

i have yet to hear of an aftermarket VTEC cam that affects how VTEC kicks in, only VTEC controllers, and i'm not sure if there is some different kind of controller for VTEC-E, hopefully not though

Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Ok, How do you guys get the different letters on engine models.

I understand That like a D16Y8 is a 1.6, and a D series engine. But where does Y8 or Y5 Come from? And how do you guys know so easily? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_engines
Theres about 100 engines there, And Destruction knew mine right off, how?

Im gonna do a full EX Exhaust. Headers, Cat and Piping into an Apexi-I WS2 Muffler.

As for the camshaft thing, http://www.modacar.com/products/Hond...camshafts.html

Theres a ton there, but there all for B series engines, whats the difference?

Civic D16Z6 IN 0.470 EX 0.455.240 Thats the only D series one, but whats the difference between my Y5 and the Z6?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM

We're just used to seeing the engine codes. I could probably tell you the engine code on just about any 88+ Honda, except for the obscure ones like the Odyssey (but I still know the first 1-3 letters of the obscure ones).

The D16Z6 is basically an older (and ironically better) version of the D16Y8. It has a little lower compression and 2hp less, but it's supposedly stronger (ex. better oil pump). It is also easier to mod because it is OBD1, rather than the D16Y8's OBD2. Only downfall when compared to the D16Y8 is that the D16Y8's transmission is steel and the D16Z6 is aluminum. I also think the block may be steel on the D16Y8, not sure.

B-series engines are DOHC, so there's one camshaft for intake valves and another camshaft for exhaust valves. They're completely different.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 AM

So could I use the Z6 Camshaft on my Y5?

And My Y5 Is SOHC correct?

EDIT- Would 4-2-1 or 4-1 Headers be better?

Last edited by TeamYardsale; 12-11-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Where can I get the O2 Sensor extension? Ive only found one for a 240.

Where do you get you parts from? Theres so many sites out there.

Is it possible to buy Just the piping for the exhaust, no muffler? I have the WS2 muffler I want to run on the end, with the EX headers and cat, but The only systems on ebay are with some cheap *** muffler welded on, im gonna check for a WS2 complete system.

Quick Reply: Need help, New to the forum