Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need Quite Exhaust w/ Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Default Need Quite Exhaust w/ Performance

I want to squeeze as many ponies from my 1.6L SOCH 99 Civic EX engine as possible. The best way I know of is to let it breath better. I have an intake installed. That takes care of the inhale, now for the exhale. I want to add a performance exhaust because the stock pipe is that of a hotdog! (Not a ballpark either).

I do not however want a load exhaust. I could handle a little more noise but I do not want to my car to sound like a street racer. Is there any middle of the road exhaust systems or perhaps just a muffler that would allow a performance gain without adding that loud kazoo sound screaming out the back of my car?

I have heard about exhausts with adjustable baffles. Do they exist?

Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Need Quite Exhaust w/ Performance

search...

baffles, aka Silencers come with many name brand exhausts these days

Old 04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

For a full cat back system the Apexi WS and the Greddy SP2 are great quality, good power adders and quiet compared to most exhaust systems. You can also by the Apexi N1 muffler by itself and weld it on you exhaust. This should not add tons of noise, cuts down on restriction, plus it comes with a silencer.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

You can always look into twin loop mufflers, and sound deadening stuff for your interior as well

Old 04-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Cat Fuсker

twin loop muffler would to the trick for you. But get a quality one.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

You can always look into twin loop mufflers, and sound deadening stuff for your interior as well
Yep that was gonna be my suggestion. Mugen Twin loop or the like.

Berz out.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM

yeah I have a Apexi N1 muffler on my ride. It is relatively quiet.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

Whoa.....Apex'i N1 and quiet in the same sentence?!? Something doesn't seem quite right there. N1 is straight thru with virtually no sound deadening. It is actually one of the louder, ricier (is that a word?) exhausts out on the market. Nowe don't get me wrong, it is VERY good quality and they make very good power gains, but for somebody looking for something quieter it would not be a good choice. I would say go for either a twin-loop system like some people already meantioned, or go with Greddy EvoII. If you want more info about the EvoII check out the review i did on mine in the product review section. I have the EXACT same car as you so you're findings would be virtually identical to mine.

Best of luck!
Evan

Old 04-19-2006, 06:10 AM

Yep that was gonna be my suggestion. Mugen Twin loop or the like.

Berz out.
I was researching twin loop and I cam across a few terms I was not familiar with. It was suggested that I install a B-pipe and resonator so I dont get that kazoo sound. What exactly is the B pipe?

Thanks you guys are great help!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:42 AM

Magnaflow Cat-Back...I have one on my 05 and i love it...Not too loud at all, it is definitly deeper then it is "ricey", and when you floor that pedal; sounds amazing.

Quick Reply: Need Quite Exhaust w/ Performance