Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

new civic in family......2000 hx manual trany

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Smile new civic in family......2000 hx manual trany

im new at this, so i just wanted to ask, what modification can i do to my civic so that it may sound good, right now i have the stock exhaust, what can you recomend for my car. im also thinking of getting halo headlights. what do you guys think. please i'd like to know what you guys think.......

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Well Halo headlights will not make your car sound any different. I would recommend starting off with an intake if anything. You would be able to hear it when you hit the gas.

Also, do you have any type of experience with working on cars?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

I recommend what I have. I couldn't stand the sewing machine engine/exhaust sound of the stock setup. I also didn't like the huge gap above the tires. My sequence was:

Tach, exhaust, intake, wheels/tires, springs/shocks/alignment

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

IMO projector headlights suck (except OEM projectors from various vehicles). I have had two different pairs, one cheap, and one expensive, and they both sucked... visibility sucked on the cheap ones, and the projector broke during adjustment on the expensive ones. Also, there is a good chance the halos will burn out.

For exhaust I recommend something louder than stock but not too loud, such as the Apex-i WS2, Greddy SP2, and RS*R Exmag. Then get an intake system, and if you want to continue modding the exhaust system you can get a header and high flow catalytic converter. If you want a header you'll have to get the high flow cat too, because you'll have to convert to a 96-00 Civic EX exhaust layout due to the location of the stock cat on your car.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

^ the header and cat converter for the HX is a PITA, got to replace everything at the same time and it cost a s*** load of money. for aftermarket look into the magnaflow like this one, http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...827/index.html, for sound i would go with the basic bolt ons, a cold air intake, with the magnaflow cat converter/ header, and an apex i ws2 exhaust system.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM

^a megan racing header paired with an EX style magnaflow direct fit high flow cat is a good 200 dollars cheaper than that magnaflow header/cat

Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

^ sounds good but would it work? so if i get a header and cat converter for an 99-00 EX and replace the ones in my 99 HX it would bolt up perfectly with the stock exhaust system? no custom work? and i can get the megan header and the magnaflow cat converter for $300? if it bolts up perfectly then if my cat converter craps out then i will go this direction.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM

well for it to bolt up to the stock exhaust system you'd have to get your stock exhaust shortened about 16.6"

with aftermarket exhaust though the ones for DX/CX/LX/HX usually come with a test pipe that extends the exhaust to the stock header/cat setup, and you just remove that test pipe and put the EX cat in its place, and install your header in place of the stock header/cat combo

yea around 300
get the cat on summitracing.com, header on ebay

Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

how can i get rid of the 16.6" , get a shop to cut it off somewhere from the exhaust system? is there another place to get the header, found mostly megan headers for the B16 not the D16's. would you recommend the megan or the DC sports, are any of these legal and pass emission?

Last edited by sfazngiants; 01-10-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
how can i get rid of the 16.6" , get a shop to cut it off somewhere from the exhaust system? is there another place to get the header, found mostly megan headers for the B16 not the D16's. would you recommend the megan or the DC sports, are any of these legal and pass emission?
yea get a shop to cut it off

they're on ebay for d16's, but i just realized you're in CA so yea you need a DC sports header

the magnaflow cat actually isn't CARB legal but it should still pass emissions and the magnaflow direct cat looks like a brand new stock catalytic converter (has the heat shield and everything) so i don't think they would notice it.

Quick Reply: new civic in family......2000 hx manual trany