Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM
HCF Member
Default New exhaust help

I have a 92 EX Sedan. Im going to buy full exhaust. Header to muffler. First questions. What is the difference between the sedan and coupe exhaust? Does the coupe come up short on the tail pipe end? Or can it be used universally?

I know that I have a catalytic converter (separate from the header) But if ordering new or Good used should I just use a test pipe? ( I do not have to worry about emissions in my state).

Also is a ZC racing header junk? I found it on eBay. But I don't want to buy crap. If it does suck. Im going to go with Megan header and down pipe, test pipe (or reuse Catalytic converter). Then will decide on a quiet to medium exhaust.

If you can think of anything im missing please inform me im going to buy this week.
Ps. would I need to modify my Oxygen sensor to reach in a different spot?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM

1. All 92-95, and 96-00 EX/SI coupe and sedan Civics have the same exhaust layout and are interchangeable (except from a B series - header is different). The 96-00 non-EX/SI have a cat converter built into the header itself, thus changing the B pipe (the one that goes from the cat to the axle back) slightly. Hatches exhaust systems are about 6" shorter than the coupe/sedan counter part.

*That may sound confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it if you start messing Hondas/Civics enough.

2. If there is nothing wrong with your cat at this time, just reuse it. If you want something high flow, many member suggest to check out Magnaflow. If YOU want to run a test pipe, go right ahead, but it is technically bad for the environment, and your back bumper :P

3. Never heard of ZC Racing. Megan is a favorite on this board. Many will recommend it. I have a 4-1 Megan header with exhaust heat wrap on it. It's been holding fine for over 6 months. Quiet to Medium exhaust? Go to youtube and type in Apexi WS2 Civic exhaust. Also, be sure to search simply "Civic Exhaust" and be able to hearwhat you like best.

4. If anything, you would need to extend some o2 wires, but that all depends on where the o2 sensor bung in the header is. The picture when I bought mine showed it to be in the collector (before the cat), but arrived with a o2 bung right after the primaries merged into 1. Instead of cutting and soldering/etc, I bought an o2 extender harness for like $22.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info, cvcrcr99.

Any reputable place to buy from? I have noticed Megan racing sells there stuff higher on there site than some distributors.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM

As I always mention, I am an eBay *****. Usually the cheapest prices you can get the products for, you just have to look at the auction 100% before clicking "place bid" or "buy it now". Be sure the part you are looking to buy is not a junk version of what you want, and/or post up the link here if you are unsure. We can help, too!

I picked up my Apexi WS2 cat back exhaust (lightly used) for $300 shipped on eBay. Everywhere I see has it for no less than $450. The header I have came from eBay, too. No problems with it as stated before. The list of name brand products I have purchase off eBay that are on my car could be endless. lol

The only "knock-off" parts I can think of on my car are the headlight/tail lights/front grille. All of which had to be slightly modified to fit, but look and work great once installed properly.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-19-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

Again thanks for your help. I ended up getting all Megan racing. Header, down-pipe, test pipe, and cat-back. I'm in a hurry, need it done by the end of the month. So it was easiest and quickest to order though one of their distributors. Should be here on Tuesday. Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Link to the cat back? For some reason, I feel it is a coffee canister type "muffler", that will be uber loud within 6-8 months.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

Your correct, it is a "coffee can".

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...d=340&catid=90

Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM

eek, and it's angled

Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

ok ok, whats the problem??? I looked through all there parts and this is the only one the sell for my car/project. Do I need to go a different route here? It will be shipping tomorrow so I do have some time.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM

It's your car so do what you want...

I'm just saying... that's probably my least favorite exhaust out there.

Quick Reply: New exhaust help