Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

O2 Simulator(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
HCF Member
Default O2 Simulator(s)

First off, it's a 94 EX - d16z6 - Manual Tranny

Alright guys, i got a 4-2-1 header sitting on ground and i'm going to install it this up coming weekend, so i'm okay with the installation its self thanks the DIY header install by asdfbrendan =)

but here goes, i have done a lot of searching around this forum and i realize that i'm going elimate the cat (temporarily) until i can get a high flow welded in, so to keep the CEL at bay, i need an o2 simulator it looks like so here's the question:

i found a mechanical sort of one on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O2-Se...QQcmdZViewItem

also, i went to o2simulator.com and looks like the universal ones run $40 w/o shipping.

so the mechanical one on ebay seems kind of sketch, and the electrical ones are pretty expensive, so how do they work and does your engine run abnormally without the second o2 sensor?

thanks for all the help, hopefully you get back to me soon, i need to order soon
~James

Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: O2 Simulator(s)

Its your car, but foolin the ecu into thinkin anyhting it shouldnt be is bad. Just wait till you buy the cat and do it all at once, youve gone this long, dont cheap out

Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

The second 02 sensor simply monitors if the converter is working or not. If it thinks it's not it runs the car a little richer. I had a 97 Mustang with no cats and the electrical simulators and I never had an issue but I wanted those mechanical ones but at the time no one was selling them.

If you use the above mentioned piece, it should work well because it pulls the 02 out of the exhaust's path. The way the sensors work is comparing the oxygen levels at the tip to at the other end of the sensor. If the tip is in an almost exhaust-less area which is mostly oxygen, and so is the outside of the sensor, it will think the converter is cleaning up your exhaust as it should and it won't make any adjustments and should not throw a code.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

alright...that explains a lot actually man, thanks! i'll go ahead and try the mechanical one cause its just a little bit less wiring and tinkering to embrace

so the electrical type just sends the ecu a loop saying it's working perfectly then?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Snail'n Admin

You people...I dont care what he had, mustangs are made to run like sh*t. Just wait, i mean holy hell, a cat costs 80$ more or so. Save that 40 and put it towards, your car has gone 14 years with the stock header, itll last a few more weeks, or w/e...stupid ***

Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: GReddy_Civic

You people...I dont care what he had, mustangs are made to run like sh*t. Just wait, i mean holy hell, a cat costs 80$ more or so. Save that 40 and put it towards, your car has gone 14 years with the stock header, itll last a few more weeks, or w/e...stupid ***
how about you bend over and let me shove your ignorant comment up your a$$?

The principal of 02 simulators is the same no matter what vehicle! And you want to talk sh** about Mustangs? Did I ever insult your car? If it wasn't for me being a good guy helping my family in a time of financial trouble I would still have the Mustang!

The electrical simulator does the same thing as the mechanical in a different way. The mechanical makes the 02 sensorhave a smooth 02 reading, and the electrical ones have a resistor inside that sends a smooth signal back to the computer.

I did not bring my old car into this to start an argument. I used the same part on there and was trying to help!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM

yeah, anybody that thinks the second o2 sensor is useful is an idiot, all it does is monitor the exhaustxygen ratio to confirm that the cat is working, and as stated, both mechanical and electric do the same function, only the electrical one has a possibility of failure, i'd say go for the mechanical one if you have the choice, it's also a lot cheaper.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: T3rry

yeah, anybody that thinks the second o2 sensor is useful is an idiot, all it does is monitor the exhaustxygen ratio to confirm that the cat is working, and as stated, both mechanical and electric do the same function, only the electrical one has a possibility of failure, i'd say go for the mechanical one if you have the choice, it's also a lot cheaper.
thanks at least i know someone else knows what I'm talkin aboot!!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

haha...thanks guys, that's all i was shooting for... don't know why people get so fired up...

but thanks a bunch..got a mechanical one on the way, i have an 84 f-250 with a 460 so i'm not used to all the electronics with the little cars:

i'll let ya know how it goes, the installation is going to be a bitch, i know that already, but i'm just hopin the CEL doesn't come on!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Well, I guess you like wasting money...

Greddy made a good point. Why bother buying it if you're going to put a cat in anyway!? Should have saved the money and had a little patience...

Quick Reply: O2 Simulator(s)