Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Power loss because of Cat. Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Default Power loss because of Cat. Converter?

94 ex coupe MT

So I am having real power loss at low rpms and the car is very slow to get moving. Just did a tune up - plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, and fuel filter. Fuel pump seems good but I am starting to think the cat. is clogged. Any thoughts?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Power loss because of Cat. Converter?

Is the CEL ON?

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light?

Name:  picture_1069.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  97.7 KB

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM

This was the same thing the guy told me at the shop today. If the timing is off, should I look into getting the belt replaced? I tried to take the cover off to see if the belt was worn, but Idont have the right wrench to get to one of the bolts. Also no CEL. If I do have to replace it, how much does it run for a shop to do that? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If your engine has the original timing belt, then it should be replaced. When a timing belt on a Civic engine snaps, major engine damage can occur. When you replace a timing belt, replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time, as well as the spark plug seals and bolt seals in the valve cover. In addition, if oil is leaking from around the crankshaft, the front main seal should also be replaced. At the Honda dealership, I think this work would cost approximately $500-$650.

If the timing belt is fine, just set the ignition timing to spec with a timing gun. As shown in the diagram, this is a pretty simple procedure that you can do yourself.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted. Also thanks for the manual. I downloaded it and it is a great resource.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

I had a friend replace my timing belt yesterday. I have a 98 ex

A shop charges way too much, a impact gun is needed for this job unless you can find the tool to hold the crank pulley still

A good impact gun and a 17 impact socket will break the bolt loose on the crank pulley.

The goodyear in town wanted 150+ for a timing belt, and gear, that's the ONLY way they would replace the belt, and they wanted 199 plus tax for labor.

I spent 31.99 on a belt, and gave my friend 100 to replace it, it took him about 2 hours to do it. He broke 2 sockets trying to get the crank pulley off, so I bought the impact socket and it was no problem.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Took it into the shop today and they said the timing was fine. He said he wanted to double check the exhaust to see if that was it. Could it be fuel system related? Bad gas, pressure regulator or fuel pump? Still no CEL or codes. I'm still holding out hope that it is nothing major. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

A clogged cat or exhaust system definitely can also cause loss of power.

A bad fuel injector(s) or pump, or a clogged air or fuel filter, are other possibilities.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM

or a bad o2 sensor

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM

So the shop called me back today and said they looked over the civic for the last 2 days. No codes, timing looked good, the belt looked good, he saw all the tune up stuff I had done and said he didnt feel it was fuel related. He did say that when he would rev it that he says the cat make a rattle or ting kind of sound. Didnt think it was the heat shield that was doing it. He told me to go get another pipe shop to check it out. Told me that the guy who looked at it first just drilled a hole and measured pressure but didnt take it off. It is a car from the north and the flange between the cat and manifold is pretty rusty and the bolts are pretty much fused to the pipes. He said he didnt want to break them and wanted a muffler shop to do it instead. Said he felt 90% sure that it was exhaust related. What do you think RonJ?

Quick Reply: Power loss because of Cat. Converter?